wood staff was found under a ledge of paintings has a design with holes

arrowstraightener

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2008
found in an area that has hundreds of rockart paintings everywere it was half buired in decomposed granite there was a spanish helmet found on that hill and also a bank robber blew up a safe at the bottom of the mountain and was killed on the other side with nothing on him so he must have hid the loot but people have look for years when i herd someone talk about a sundial i rememberd the stick i found , also there is a cave that we have yet to enter (need to make a rope ladder ) below the cave, there is a small spring that after storms we find trade beads.

Attachments

• rods staff.jpg
    rods staff.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 576
  • rods staff1.jpg
    rods staff1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 630
it has marks from a serrated knife or blade in the wood lines (like a steak knife i will post another pic ) i just want to know what they could of used if for,also who made it, the other end has a dull point i was told the tip was fire hardened and that it was a digging stick ,i am in california.

Upvote 0
here is a couple more pix ,also noticed center hole is straight and others angle in,two intersect with center.

Attachments

• rods staff1.jpg
    rods staff1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • rs3.jpg
    rs3.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 450
  • rs2.jpg
    rs2.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 476
  • rods staff1.jpg
    rods staff1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 430
Upvote 0
Not 100% sure but I believe what you have there is a cane made from a bulls penis. It was common practice to make canes from them.

Upvote 0
Interesting object, something in the middle hole to cast a shadow and it would have made a fine sundial. Also could have been a calendar if the 4 small holes around the edge marked the rising and setting sun on the winter and summer soltices. Or not.

Upvote 0
Come to think of it. could have been a crude navigational aid too. Like an astrolabe. Sight along the holes with the rising or setting sun. Lines might have marked degrees of latitude. Or not

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back