Wood and grass

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Went back to the wood this afternoon and had a hard time, shot gun butt after shot gun butt. Found a small 17th century button before jumping on to a pasture field. Had one good find off the grass, a good condition Roman coin. It's a Constantine the Great two soldier type, minted sometime between 324-337 AD, it was minted in Treveri (mint mark TRP) Rhineland.

HH robert.

Attachments

• wood 008.jpg
    wood 008.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 540
  • wood 009.jpg
    wood 009.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 545
  • wood 010.jpg
    wood 010.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0
Good find the Roman Rob :notworthy: especially this time of year, could be a good summer field :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher said:
Good find the Roman Rob :notworthy: especially this time of year, could be a good summer field :thumbsup:
Hello Mr Silver, it was ploughed about 2 years ago. Signals though were few.

Still an outstanding hunt!
Baggins

That coin is in incredible condition for something that has been in the ground for nearly seventeen hundred years. Is it silver?

terpfan said:
That coin is in incredible condition for something that has been in the ground for nearly seventeen hundred years. Is it silver?
It's copper/bronze terpan. It's not in bad condition, the soil in that area is kind to copper/bronze.

Great detail on the Roman (you lucky so & so) -
Congratulations :hello2:

nice roman Rob, the reverse looks like new!

very cool find rob would love to find a coin that old sometime!
:icon_pirat: :icon_thumright:

Getting a Roman from grass, I guess means it was once ploughed, I would be all over that one!! :notworthy:

It amazes me that you folk over the pond know what those 1500+/- yr old coins are! A coin book.....yes, it could help, but there were so many different groups inhabiting that land at different times. I admire all of you for your knowledge.

Goose-0 said:
It amazes me that you folk over the pond know what those 1500+/- yr old coins are! A coin book.....yes, it could help, but there were so many different groups inhabiting that land at different times. I admire all of you for your knowledge.
The roman coin (two soldiers) is probably one of the most common types found in England. Who knows how many were minted, certainly they were lost in large amounts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back