Wondering what my old coins i have our worth please help!

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPG

So if you could just tell me what they are and how much they are worth that would be great thanks!

Welcome to Treasure Net !!

What can you tell us about the coins?
Were they purchased or dug? From what country?
What are their diameters in mm or can you display them against a ruler?
Can you make the images sharper and with a little more 'light'?
Don.....

thanks for the welcome and I don't have a better camera to use all I got is my iphone 5, all I know about them is the little ones might be widows might and the bigger one with green built up on it is greek and it may be Hercules on the coin.

A WAG on the first coin: Roman Procurator coin, one of 19 different ones issued by six (of several more) Roman Procuators and Perfect of the province of Judea between 6 - 66 AD; minted in only one denomination and size, the bronze 'prutah'. The "Y" and "L" suggest to me the name of Emperor Tiberius's mother Julia (O"YL"IA). The coin might be by Valerius Gratus who was Prefect of Judaea under the Emperor Tiberius. The obverse of the coin shows an ear of barley. The representation of palm trees and barley was done out of sensitivity to Jewish belief not to depict a living creature, and especially not a human being, on their coinage.
Don.......

The upper right coin depicts a palm tree from which hang bunches of dates. This reverse was seen on 'leptons' of the first Procurator, Coponius (AD.6-9); and on 'prutahs' of Antonius Felix (AD. 52-59) both under Claudius; and perhaps coins of other Procurator of the day.
Don.........

Thanks

The upper right coin depicts a palm tree from which hang bunches of dates. This reverse was seen on 'leptons' of the first Procurator, Coponius (AD.6-9); and on 'prutahs' of Antonius Felix (AD. 52-59) both under Claudius; and perhaps coins of other Procurator of the day.
Don.........
thanks this is really informtative, do you have any idea what it would the worth of these may be? Thanks again

the one with the palm tree looks alot like a "widow's mite" is there a sun on the other side?

My advice would be to join these guys. The NGC has an 'ancients' service and they are considered reputable. Third-Party Coin Grading | Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)

Look under specialty services, NGC Ancient Program

A coin shop will also send it in for you but the cost can be high. As a member you do get submission privilages.

The reason I suggest this is many of these coins have been copied and forgeries sometimes out number real ones. Also, the numbers of subtypes of these coins can make id very hard and therefore valuation very hard.

I will say in general if the are Judaica they would be in demand. Look up some recent auctions at Heritage Auctions and see some recent sales.

Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back