🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Wondering what kind of gun?

payoung

Feb 19, 2023
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 76
Very interesting piece. The wood is very attractive, but I wouldn’t have wanted to have one with that grain pattern, for shooting. The vertical rings look susceptible to breaking, especially close to the point where butt stock meets the action. I’ve seen this happen on some beautifully burled gunstocks. Still it’s a beauty. Would make an excellent wall hanger. I’m not sure of the age, but we have some very knowledgeable gun folks in these forums. They will know. Thanks for showing.👍🏼

Upvote 1
Percussion. Tiger stripe maple stock (Quarter sawn sugar maple is VERY durable in spite of earlier post - certainly up to black powder stresses). Not a Hawkin. Agree that the deeply scooped butplate and sideplate indicate a late era flintlock conversion. The patchbox is similar to a P. Smith and A.W. Spies rifle (example in .40 cal, c. 1870) that was on Gun Broker. Need a LOT more measurements and clear images to tell whether an original or reproduction.

Is the barrel swamped? (Wider at the breech and muzzle than 12" behind the muzzle). Image is so blurry and the blankets cover much of the detail so it is hard to determine much. Is it even full stock or half-stock?

Last edited:
Upvote 4
Nice little Ohio style rifle, not a Hawken, and the stock wood is curly maple. Perfect gunstock wood. I don't think it was converted from flint, there is not enough meat on the front of the lockplate to have ever had a pan and frizzen, it is just dished out for the shape of the percussion bolster. There is also no extra hole for the frizzen spring either.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back