Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 15
It is a nice find :)

Found this button walking around my property after the rain(shank still attached) House was built in 1760.

Any info?
In uniform buttons armed forces 1784-1948 vol ii has an appendix at the end dedicated to “sportsman’s buttons”. Can’t find an exact match but several close…..may be a good place to start looking. The back mark may add some more detail. Dates I saw were 1820-1870.

I'm taking a risk by offering an ID before we see your button's back... which could cancel my ID. Your button SEEMS to be what button-collectors call a "Jacksonian" 2-piece brass button, from the late-1820s into the mid-1830s. Most Jacksonian rims are plain, but yours has a rarely seen "fancy rim."

Based on emblems seen on contemporary British Livery buttons, I'd say the emblem on yours is a wolf head.

The nickname "Jacksonian" comes from their being very popular with the public during the presidency of Andrew Jackson, 1829-37. They are among the first true 2-piece brass buttons... they consist of a regular flatbutton with a separately-made-&-applied rim. The photo attached below shows the applied rim, at about 5 o'clock you'll see a crimping error which reveals that the rim indeed is a separate part and is crimped around the edge of a flatbutton. As the backmark with its British spelling of the word color as colour, the great majority of Jacksonian buttons were made in Britain.

Attachments

• button_Jacksonian-button_eagle_BRITISH-MADE_colour-backmark_1820s-1830s_12.5mm_TN_photobyDoninSJ.jpg
    button_Jacksonian-button_eagle_BRITISH-MADE_colour-backmark_1820s-1830s_12.5mm_TN_photobyDoninSJ.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 13

Attachments

• 1724025219061.jpeg
    1724025219061.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
You might be able to clean that back up with a toothpick at a steep angle. Rub the button with the side of the toothpick basically. That might reveal some wording as to what TheCannonballGuy is referring. That loop should give a date range. Good picture.

You might be able to clean that back up with a toothpick at a steep angle. Rub the button with the side of the toothpick basically. That might reveal some wording as to what TheCannonballGuy is referring. That loop should give a date range. Good picture.
I don’t see any lettering, but to your point it could be hiding under the “patina”. Also, to my untrained eye that doesn’t look like what cannonballguy described (flat button with a decorative ring). Unless the angle is wrong I see the shank coming through the back rather than be soldered to. Button folks please correct me if I’m incorrect.

From prior threads

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-20 6.51.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-20 6.51.12 PM.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back