Why would these be under rock near tree?

28138digger

May 16, 2011
Lexington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these under a rock that lloked out of place on my own property. They where under a large rock near an old tree.. I kept getting a "nickle" signal going to "half dollar" around the rock... I flipeed the rock and keep finding these..There are about 15 to 20 of them.. The headstamp is L 6 7 0. Found pictures of NATO rounds that are about same length but the end of these look like blanks.. Any help?

Attachments

• headstamp.jpg
    headstamp.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 539
  • bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 536
truckinbutch said:
Do look like live military blanks . Reason for being buried under a rock :dontknow:
None have been fired! One I cleaned well has a redish looking plug in the end.. Red maybe from dirt here..

Upvote 0
Blanks.... when i was at Bootcamp in USMC at Parris Island they gave each of us 5 boxes of M-16 blanks to shoot while (simulating a firefight and ambush), so you could understand the mechanics of your weapon! We had a 13 man rifle team in the bush, and (I) told the guys... "If we shoot all these, our rifles will never pass inspection. We'll be cleaning them forever". Thus a hole was dug and we buried lots of rounds! TRUE...

Upvote 0
7.62 blank, are you sure the 0 isn't a C ? That would make them Lake City Arsenal, 1967. The red plug is cardboard with a water resistant coating. you can poke it in with wood or brass dowel, dump the powder, and put some oil in them to kill the primer. As to why they were under a rock is anyone's guess.... :dontknow:

Upvote 0
ohioaxeman said:
Blanks.... when i was at Bootcamp in USMC at Parris Island they gave each of us 5 boxes of M-16 blanks to shoot while (simulating a firefight and ambush), so you could understand the mechanics of your weapon! We had a 13 man rifle team in the bush, and (I) told the guys... "If we shoot all these, our rifles will never pass inspection. We'll be cleaning them forever". Thus a hole was dug and we buried lots of rounds! TRUE...
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
They look a bit large to be M-16 rounds. They appear to be about M-60 size... :dontknow:

Best,
Scott

Upvote 0
When I was in the military back in the 60's we used to bury our unfired ammo just so we wouldn't have to pack it out. Now I understand that all ammo whether fired or not has to be accounted for.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back