Who Needs a Metal Detector! Helluva Button Find!

2.gif

My guess is a later issue King's 8th... late being towards the last years pewter was used for military buttons.

That is one sweet button...however you finding it without a detector doesn't surprise me at all...IP knows what I'm talking about :laughing7:

Last edited:
Every time we walk through this park I tell Little Man to keep his eyes on the ground for treasure...even today!

That's a great find! :thumbsup: I would be itching to hunt that spot with a detector. :laughing7:

but I've always scraped the bare areas with sticks or rocks telling my 3 year old that we're "looking for treasure"

Hope the 3 year old was there for this find .. Awesome

Nice eyeball find. The inscription is french shamed be he who thinks evil of it. It is a British, possibly 8th regiment. The backmark, if its
I. Nutting its pre 1802... Nutting & son post 1802... that's all I know, can't find it my reference.

Nice eyeball find. The inscription is french shamed be he who thinks evil of it. It is a British, possibly 8th regiment. The backmark, if its
I. Nutting its pre 1802... Nutting & son post 1802... that's all I know, can't find it my reference.

Date(s) Name Address Related Information
1800-1840 I Nutting Covent Garden Button types include livery and Other Ranks pewter buttons
I Nutting King St. Covent Garden
Nutting & Co
1807-1840 I Nutting & Son Covent Garden
Military uniform buttons
I Nutting & Son London Livery buttons
1840 Amalgamated with Sherlock & Co
Maybe the above is wrong then? From the UKDFD.

With the history of the Regiment, & a better reference I think this could be narrowed to a few years in the early 1800s, probably 1812.

Last edited:
Went on a family outing to a park in my area which has an immense and long military history. I've never detected this area as it's frowned upon but I've always scraped the bare areas with sticks or rocks telling my 3 year old that we're "looking for treasure". Well, today i found treasure! I was absent mindedly scratching a bare spot under some old growth trees and hit on some old bricks. I cleared a half brick out and was about three inches down when I hit on the best button I've found this year...pure luck and no detector required!

Still not entirely sure what exactly it is (King's 8th?, 8th Regiment) or from what era it is. There is a "Nutting - London" backmark...any info would be appreciated. I've got a few research areas to explore to identify it but any assistance would be appreciated!

As dug and cleaned.

NUTTING was based in Covent Garden, London England.

the button I found was marked the same and I found some date;

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-coin-ever-found-flat-button.html#post3477372

Seems to be a somewhat rare bird...I've scoured the internet and my own personal reference books and cannot find a match. Although if you do a search now you'll find my button in the Google search engine...:laughing9:

Now that's pretty sweet! Gotta make you wonder what else is hiding around there!

Wow, you sure are giving that little guy some quality training, befor you know it he will be pulling up cobs out of your front yard.
Great eyeball find for sure.
ZDD

I've consulted experts on both this side of the pond as well as in the UK and the consensus is that this is a newly discovered and previously unrecorded variant of the 8th Regiment of Foot buttons. Very exciting!

I've consulted experts on both this side of the pond as well as in the UK and the consensus is that this is a newly discovered and previously unrecorded variant of the 8th Regiment of Foot buttons. Very exciting!

Hey! Scarcity/rarity and condition , home run son!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back