Who knows Civil War era bullets? ID needed please. -- Thanks all for your input!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• bullet2.jpg
    bullet2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 287
Re: Who knows Civil War era bullets? ID needed please.

Its definately a 3 ringer. It has been wormed by the soldier from the musket. You can see where the end was struck with the ramrod. Either the black powder was wet, damp or no good the soldier used a screw device to remove the bullet from the musket giving the appearance of a hollow point. Very good find.

Upvote 0

What is the weight?

Upvote 0

RiverRat3 said:
What is the weight?

According to my scale, it weighs 30 gms

Upvote 0

Checked it out in my reference books. Closest I could find was a .58cal, RM- southern manufacture, nose cast with cone cavity.

Reference books: T & T #: 165
M & M #: 376

Upvote 0

It also looks like it may have been carved. That would take some weight off and make it look different. Just something to consider.

Bullets are as tough as buttons. Good luck on it.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Is there anything in the base. If not it may be a confederate bullet that we always called a .58 Austrian. If you could show a side view of it like the bullet in the red. I might be able to tell more from the rings. It may be hard to tell with the nose messed up.

Upvote 0

vayank54 said:
Is there anything in the base. If not it may be a confederate bullet that we always called a .58 Austrian. If you could show a side view of it like the bullet in the red. I might be able to tell more from the rings. It may be hard to tell with the nose messed up.

Here are some additional photos showing a side view and a cavity close-up.

Attachments

• bullet3.jpg
    bullet3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 219
  • bullet4.jpg
    bullet4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 214
Upvote 0

I looked through my new reference book, "Civil War Projectiles II" and all I could find that was very close is simply, "C. S. cast bullet". Being possibly pulled and deformed it also could be like any number of .56 caliber bullets shown in the text. Monty

Upvote 0

I can't really tell. The ones we called .58 Austrians have distinctive rings like the .69 Austrians and a plug type cavity like yours. I'd have to agree is a CS bullet though. We could probably tell more if the nose wasn't messed up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back