Who is to Blame?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What has happened to the America I grew up in? In the death of a two-year-old shot accidentally by her five-year-old brother, CNN is blaming the gun Manufacturer – not the parents.

Is personal responsibility dead in America? Are Corporations – or somebody else to blame for everything now? Automobile companies market “fast and powerful” cars to 17-year-old drivers on TV, but nobody blames them when our kids die or are terribly injured in motor vehicle accidents - EVERY DAY!

What are your thoughts friends?

The damn hippies that were scared to go to Vietnam are now spineless professors and lying politicians not to mention the proliferation of progressives through out the media.

I, too heard this news report this am. Times have changed in the 62 years I have been around, and not always for the better. I grew up in a small orchard in Wallkill, NY, and was taught at an early age about firearms and their safe handling. Guns were kept loaded and secured at home and in camp, and heaven help the individual that broke the rule of touching or mishandling the firearm. My grandfather always said that it was the unloaded gun that hurt you, treat them all as loaded, and handle them safely, and you are just find.

Today kids learn from TV and video games, nowhere near lessons in the real world. Parents either don't or can't help in their gun education because most of them are a generation removed from the lessons we learned and can't share those experiences with their kids. I was never allowed toy guns, or BB guns because my father said they caused bad habits. To bad more people don't have this attitude today. Accidents like this one will continue to happen unless more responsibility is instilled, and people figure out that a firearm will kill you when the trigger is pulled. The gun is only a mechanical tool, with limited uses, It's the mind of the individual that needs the safety lever. An inanimate object will always be blamed for the action of an individual, because of it's inability to defend itself.

I'm sur the parents of these kids will live with this day for the rest of their lives, but that loaded gun, in the corner of the room did nothing until it was acted upon by a human.

Of course its the parents fault and thats one of the reasons why they are talking about more gun control because the manufactureres can´t control what happens with the guns with so many people walking around with theire heads up a certain place.

I of course was referring to the overall problem, not that particular instance.

What has happened to the America I grew up in? In the death of a two-year-old shot accidentally by her five-year-old brother, CNN is blaming the gun Manufacturer – not the parents.

Is personal responsibility dead in America? Are Corporations – or somebody else to blame for everything now? Automobile companies market “fast and powerful” cars to 17-year-old drivers on TV, but nobody blames them when our kids die or are terribly injured in motor vehicle accidents - EVERY DAY!

What are your thoughts friends?

I think some(not all) parents are living in the ME generation and are not holding their children accountable for anything.We live in a society where objects are more important than people and getting what you want at all costs even if that means a child is not ready for a toy that inappropriate or too old for the child. Junior MUST have it because all the other kids do.In that mindset we are breeding a generation of apathetic people who only wake up when something horrible happens.

Back in the 70's we had a crew that hunted in the great Northwoods. This particular day It was snowing heavy nothing moving so we decided to head out. I remember coming out of the woods onto the road and seeing a young 14 year old bead up on us (Now think about it six guy;s dressed in blaze orange) one 30 30 shot to just below the clavicle That's because he had his hands in the air. Long story short the kid was hunting the road because his Dad was in the Bar down the road. and he was afraid to go in the woods for fear of being lost.

In this instance who do you blame?

who got shot?

That sucks. Did he survive?

The damn hippies that were scared to go to Vietnam are now spineless professors and lying politicians not to mention the proliferation of progressives through out the media.

Is ted nugent a hippie? or a hypocrite?

I think we should beat personal responsibility into 5 year olds that are given guns as birthday presents. But that's just my take on the situation.

jeeeez, then there's another guy saying car companies are marketing fast/powerful cars to 17 year olds, how many 17 year olds can afford to pay for what would be called a "fast" "powerful" automobile? I would imagine you're talking about an Audi or a Charger, which 17 year old can afford the payment and insurance on that?

Of course its the parents fault and thats one of the reasons why they are talking about more gun control because the manufactureres can´t control what happens with the guns with so many people walking around with theire heads up a certain place.

Not a valid reason. Reshuffle.

I think we should beat personal responsibility into 5 year olds that are given guns as birthday presents. But that's just my take on the situation.

And no one has a problem with giving a gun to a 5 year old? Since the car analogy is so popular, you have to be 16 to drive one, in most of the world 18. You have to be 21 to be able to buy a beer, 18 in most of the world, but 5 year olds should get guns, no questions asked...??

jeeeez, then there's another guy saying car companies are marketing fast/powerful cars to 17 year olds, how many 17 year olds can afford to pay for what would be called a "fast" "powerful" automobile? I would imagine you're talking about an Audi or a Charger, which 17 year old can afford the payment and insurance on that?

I take it D you know little about fast... For less then 5 K I can put 6 to 7 hundred horsepower under a hood. For 2 bucks more per gallon I can buy racing fuel. If you think kids today don't have cash your living in a old age suburb somewhere.

And no one has a problem with giving a gun to a 5 year old? Since the car analogy is so popular, you have to be 16 to drive one, in most of the world 18. You have to be 21 to be able to buy a beer, 18 in most of the world, but 5 year olds should get guns, no questions asked...??

Why do you say that? Has someone said it or have you made it up? It is not up to you to legislate how people live their lives. It is unfortunate for them. Apparently they did not teach their child gun safety. But it is not your responsibility to make them do anything.

giving a gun to a 5 year old is such an epic fail on all levels that its not even worth discussing....

Back in the 70's we had a crew that hunted in the great Northwoods. This particular day It was snowing heavy nothing moving so we decided to head out. I remember coming out of the woods onto the road and seeing a young 14 year old bead up on us (Now think about it six guy;s dressed in blaze orange) one 30 30 shot to just below the clavicle That's because he had his hands in the air. Long story short the kid was hunting the road because his Dad was in the Bar down the road. and he was afraid to go in the woods for fear of being lost.

In this instance who do you blame?

The alcoholic Father that didn't teach his son not to ever hunt from the road por shoot people in Blaze Orange outerwear.

I know a lot of parents that buy their sweet little sixteen anything she wants, or their son a new High School car - don't you?

I grew up on a ranch, and got my first Ithaca Single-Shot .22 on my fifth birthday. I also had a Father that taught me how and when to use it and how deadly it was if I didn't follow the rules with it. Of course, we had an elementary and high school shooting team, Boy Scout merit badge, NRA safty classes, yadda, yadda, yadda..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back