Who is the Person on My Wax Seal ?

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4786.JPGIMG_4788.JPG I think it's a Fob or Pendant of some kind ? Has a hole on each side of the head on the sides of it , Trying to Research it but Knowing WHO this person is would be Great Help in doing that ... THANK YOU ... Garry Paul

It really does look more like a cameo brooch. If you search red/coral glass oval cameo brooches you find many similar.

Upvote 0
yes I would say it's a wax seal. Who it may be is anyone's guess. Awesome find nonetheless. thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm wrong but, the figure appears to be in relief on your item whereas most seals including my own and the fair few others I've seen, are intaglio, 'carved' into the surface.
You mention the 2 holes in alignment with the head. To me, that makes sense for a brooch.

Edit: If it is intaglio and the holes are in the centre (center) of the oval, then you might have a spinner fob. More pics please.

At the moment I have to agree with nhbenz, it's a cameo brooch: nevertheless, it looks interesting and well worthwhile further research.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank You all for the input and comments , I measured it / It is 3m.m. thick X 2c.m. Tall and 1 and a half c.m. wide. The side holes are right in the middle ,here are some better pics. Again thanks for the Help , and suggestions.IMG_4849.JPGIMG_4852.JPGIMG_4854.JPGIMG_4856.JPG

Upvote 0
Good pictures and description. Kiwi had some good insight too. It had to have been a spinner (swivel) fob or pendant. And I agree with carnelian (or intended to look like it, as your link makes reference to). The size is right for a seal.
That puts it a bit out of range of my knowledge, but perhaps making an impression with it may help show the subject better. Having now looked at a bunch of these I note that many are simply classical figures, no name attributed. On the other hand, Apollo came up a fair bit, as did other deities.

Upvote 0
nhbenz , Thanks ... I just made a wax seal w/ it but it has a black spot from the wax. / I'll try again then upload the photo... I read that it could be a watch fob Wax seal ??? Our area is Very Old w/ History from Native Americans to present day.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back