Who is it ? Michigan Chippewas Indian Chief

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
Okay forum. I am a huge collector of old photography. I have had this one for a while. I cannot find any thing on this Native american Indian described as the chief of the Chippewas. I come up with Bebawissee for his name. I have spent a great deal of time on this one. I would like to put this to rest. This is the place for expertise on many topics. Thanks before hand. Bill

Attachments

• DSC05072.JPG
    DSC05072.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC05073.JPG
    DSC05073.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 183
being a commercially made stereograph card from probably around 1890-1900, I would imagine that the tribe would have a record of him as well as some recorded history of his life

Upvote 0
Here is a compare of another pic I found on ebay. No info on who he is, though...

chippewa chief compare.JPG

Upvote 0
Chief Flatmouth, the second ?

bf46673076e7f1969e7d4757a3a7f89c--indian-tribes-native-indian.jpg

Upvote 0
I can't find anything on this guy. No chiefs found with a name any where close to the spelling on the stereo-optic. I saw one additional copy of the photo on Pinterest.

I did discover that your picture was take in 1870 by Childs:

B.F. Childs 1870 photographic tour of Lake Superior, which was published on stereo-optic cards as “The Gems of Lake Superior.” Deo is the proprietor of the Superior View Gallery in Marquette. Childs loaded a small sailboat with a large format glass plate negative camera, as well as all of the necessary plates, and set sail with companion and a Native American guide to circle Lake Superior. The voyage, as well as supplemental work done later, resulted in the publication of more than 500 stereo-optic cards.

But that's about it.

Upvote 0
This ebay listing shows the same image as the OP and says his name is "Beebunesse" which is close enough to be the same as indicated (IMO) but I think that name may be wrong b/c it is also a dead end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/108-Year-O...d=253274262344&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

You are buying a high quality photograph. It is printed with Archival Inks on Premium Heavyweight Photographic Paper. The photograph is made from the original glass or celluloid negative or from the original photograph. My photographic reprints are known for their sharpness and beautiful warm tone. This image shows Chippewa Chief Beebunesse of the L'Anse Michigan Tribe. He was 108 years old when this photo was taken. I combine the shipping on multiple photo purchases, so don’t forget to check out my Ebay Store.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Okay forum. I am a huge collector of old photography. I have had this one for a while. I cannot find any thing on this Native american Indian described as the chief of the Chippewas. I come up with Bebawissee for his name. I have spent a great deal of time on this one. I would like to put this to rest. This is the place for expertise on many topics. Thanks before hand. Bill

Nice find. Some of my grandparents came from Germany to live with the Chippewa, way back in the 1850s. Some of my ancestors may have known this man.

Upvote 0
I have been trying for a long time and cannot find the name on this stereotype. Maybe a dead end is right

Upvote 0
being a commercially made stereograph card from probably around 1890-1900, I would imagine that the tribe would have a record of him as well as some recorded history of his life

I agree. I was going to say 1890s, based on some similar photos I have.

Upvote 0
This reference has a similar name.. maybe something to it..?

Chief Chabowaywa

Pay-baw-me-say

Pay-baw-me-say or "Be-be-mis-se" (Flying Bird), son of Shwbwaway, was later known and called by his father's name, with the addition or rather prefix of the plain Anglo-Saxon name of "john," and his name so appears in the United States patent andin a deed given by him. His surviving spouse and other Indians say that at the time of his father's deah the became by heredity, chief of the depleted band of Chippewas and Ottawas then remining here. Considerng the small number of the band, said to be all told about two hundred, considering also, that the occaisions and emergencies requireing the use of hte high prerogatives of an Indian cheiftain did not then exist, and that by the treaty of 1855 tribal relations had been abolished for nearly twenty years, this distinction was certainly an empty honor. Pay-baw-me-say also lived and died in the same log cabin, his death occuring about the year 1882.

Upvote 0
This reference has a similar name.. maybe something to it..?

Chief Chabowaywa

Pay-baw-me-say

Pay-baw-me-say or "Be-be-mis-se" (Flying Bird), son of Shwbwaway, was later known and called by his father's name, with the addition or rather prefix of the plain Anglo-Saxon name of "john," and his name so appears in the United States patent andin a deed given by him. His surviving spouse and other Indians say that at the time of his father's deah the became by heredity, chief of the depleted band of Chippewas and Ottawas then remining here. Considerng the small number of the band, said to be all told about two hundred, considering also, that the occaisions and emergencies requireing the use of hte high prerogatives of an Indian cheiftain did not then exist, and that by the treaty of 1855 tribal relations had been abolished for nearly twenty years, this distinction was certainly an empty honor. Pay-baw-me-say also lived and died in the same log cabin, his death occuring about the year 1882.

Yes, thats him. Great work. This is the quote from the website you found:

'Pay-baw-me-say

Pay-baw-me-say or "Be-be-mis-se" (Flying Bird), son of Shwbwaway, was later known and called by his father's name, with the addition or rather prefix of the plain Anglo-Saxon name of "john," and his name so appears in the United States patent andin a deed given by him. His surviving spouse and other Indians say that at the time of his father's deah the became by heredity, chief of the depleted band of Chippewas and Ottawas then remining here. Considerng the small number of the band, said to be all told about two hundred, considering also, that the occaisions and emergencies requireing the use of hte high prerogatives of an Indian cheiftain did not then exist, and that by the treaty of 1855 tribal relations had been abolished for nearly twenty years, this distinction was certainly an empty honor. Pay-baw-me-say also lived and died in the same log cabin, his death occuring about the year 1882'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Back of the photo reads "Bebawissee - Chief of the Chippewa"

Upvote 0
Dang it I thought it was Toby Tubby Been lookin for thissin for years and his buried gold hoard.........

Upvote 0
Yes, thats him. Great work. This is the quote from the website you found:

'Pay-baw-me-say

Pay-baw-me-say or "Be-be-mis-se" (Flying Bird), son of Shwbwaway, was later known and called by his father's name, with the addition or rather prefix of the plain Anglo-Saxon name of "john," and his name so appears in the United States patent andin a deed given by him. His surviving spouse and other Indians say that at the time of his father's deah the became by heredity, chief of the depleted band of Chippewas and Ottawas then remining here. Considerng the small number of the band, said to be all told about two hundred, considering also, that the occaisions and emergencies requireing the use of hte high prerogatives of an Indian cheiftain did not then exist, and that by the treaty of 1855 tribal relations had been abolished for nearly twenty years, this distinction was certainly an empty honor. Pay-baw-me-say also lived and died in the same log cabin, his death occuring about the year 1882'

Wow... Awesome research.

Check the guy in the center - back row. Pretty sure that's our man. Chief Buffalo's Washington Delegation - June 1852.

119c3ae76a67e31c5339ac0ebe33be0b--mountain-lion-american-indians.jpg

Upvote 0

Thats a very interesting photo for sure. If you look at the shadows on their faces, such as the cheeks and the round eyes seen in the 1852 photo and the 2nd photo on the right there, there are some definite similarities. The man is also much younger and that would make sense for an 1852 photo. I wonder if someone could do one of those facial scan things to determine if these two men are a match.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back