🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Who is depicted on this flat button?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Any Ideas?
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 5.10.36 PM.jpg

Don't know all the players from that time period, but my first thought was Thomas Jefferson.

Upvote 1
Hi - can we see the back? Where did you get it?

I can't provide any documentation but I feel like I have seen this image before and my immediate recollection was that it is Catherine the Great of Russia.

Upvote 0
Hi - can we see the back? Where did you get it?

I can't provide any documentation but I feel like I have seen this image before and my immediate recollection was that it is Catherine the Great of Russia.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 5.55.49 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 5.55.49 AM.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0
Hello. This profile of the lady reminds me Catherine the Great - Empress of Russian empire in 18th century.

Attachments

• 17171215_1m.jpg
    17171215_1m.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 1
Notice the Stern look on the woman's face. Women in Colonial times had buttons fashioned with their likeness on them and sewed them on their husbands jacket cuffs. As the husband was enjoying himself at the local Pub, it was her face on his sleeve that was there to remind him to get home soon. As the light got darker the more time passed the shadows on the face of the button kept making the woman look sterner. If he waited until it looked like a frown, he knew that when he got home there would be a rolling pin waiting for him at the door.
Great Find!

Upvote 5
Similar to Maria Theresa

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back