Whites vx3?

rbcumbee74

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seriously debating on buying a whites vx3, this would be an upgrade from my mxt pro. For the most part when I google search the reviews of this detector there's nothing but good news, but I would like to hear from others who own or have used the machine before i invest my money into it. So, what's the pros and cons and how much different is it than the v3i? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Stick with your Mxt!

Every thing i have read about it was that most liked the DFX better ………… I don't think going to a vx3 would be a upgrade but could be a down grade … MXT is one of the best detectors White has put out….The only upgrade you would get is that you get to pay more ..For the detector..If you want to call that a upgrade..

Last edited:
I went from an xlt to the vx3. I love my vx3 BUT i wish it would have come with the DD coil. I have bought the d2 and 6x10 coils for my machine. The only time the 950 coil get put on is when i go to the beach. The Vx3 is a lot more sensitive to smaller and deeper objects . I have never used the mxt so i cannot comment. good luck

quite a sales pitch , ( it won't work well out of box , but if you spend an extra 250- you will be able to use it!) if you really want 1 there's tons of used models out there with the required optional extra coils ! Don't do it bro , I'm a hardcore whites user since 1999 , xlt Dfx BHID , the V 3 is a horror show , no point in paying for 3 freq capability if the machine can't process 3 frequencies ( the suggested method for getting stability and consistent VDI #s is to use 1 frequency)

Last edited:
I wrote the following about the V3i earlier this month (Note: the Vx3 runs on the same hardware as the V3i):

"V3i vs Etrac

The Etrac uses a 32bit processor operating at 48mhz to process 28 simultaneous frequencies ranging from 1.5khz - 100 khz.
The V3i uses an ARM9 processor operating at 180mhz to process 3 simultaneous frequencies (2.5khz, 7.5khz, and 22.5khz). Hence, the V3i is using a more powerful processor to process only 3 frequencies. These 3 frequencies are chosen to optimize hunting from the deep silver range (2.5khz) to the small gold jewelry /nugget range(22.5khz). The 3 frequencies run simultaneously or can be chosen to run singularly. For example, if you are hunting small gold in an isolated field (i.e. little trash) you would want to run the highest frequency, 22.5khz. By applying all of the signal-processing power of the V3i to one frequency your "hits" sound off very sharply.
Good luck on your final choice!"

BTW once you understand how to set up, run and alternate (or in combination) frequencies the VX3 is a great sniping machine in combination with the 4x6 coil.

I love my V3i. It's not a $200 beep and dig for sure, you have to learn to use it correctly and it will reward. Some prefer to turn one knob, some prefer to be able to change everything the detector is capable of depending on the hunting conditions.

I wrote the following about the V3i earlier this month (Note: the Vx3 runs on the same hardware as the V3i): "V3i vs Etrac The Etrac uses a 32bit processor operating at 48mhz to process 28 simultaneous frequencies ranging from 1.5khz - 100 khz. The V3i uses an ARM9 processor operating at 180mhz to process 3 simultaneous frequencies (2.5khz, 7.5khz, and 22.5khz). Hence, the V3i is using a more powerful processor to process only 3 frequencies. These 3 frequencies are chosen to optimize hunting from the deep silver range (2.5khz) to the small gold jewelry /nugget range(22.5khz). The 3 frequencies run simultaneously or can be chosen to run singularly. For example, if you are hunting small gold in an isolated field (i.e. little trash) you would want to run the highest frequency, 22.5khz. By applying all of the signal-processing power of the V3i to one frequency your "hits" sound off very sharply. Good luck on your final choice!" BTW once you understand how to set up, run and alternate (or in combination) frequencies the VX3 is a great sniping machine in combination with the 4x6 coil.
another solid sales pitch ! With the caveat of extra coil required! It seems it was in your closet and forsale with stock 9.5

Call it a sales pitch, call what ever you want. Yes, initially I was frustrated with the VX3 as I was having trouble pin pointing with the 9.5 and the 12 inch coils. I was attempting to sell the machine when I gave the 4x6 coil a shot. The machine then worked like a dream and started pulling out more jewelry out of parks than I ever had at the beach with my TDI Pro. My VX3 is my go to machine unless I am hunting deep in a highly mineralized environment then I pull out the TDI. Whites VLF and Whites pulse a powerful combination made in the USA. GO USA! f$#!@# yeah!

Back to his question , what where the differences you noticed from the Mxt to the VX3?

I just gave my opinion on how the machine works in my area. He may not have a problem with the stock 950 coil in his area. I live in the coal region of Pa. lots of mineralization, every one of my buddies that i hunt with a has an extra coil some are die hard minelabs fans some are Whites fans.

I suggested he keep the Mxt , the only people who mentioned minelab ,are the same posters who advise the vx3 would be appropriate for him. Your xlt was capable of finding tiny targets by adjusting the vdi sensitivity. I agree a lot of detectorists have different coils for different areas and conditions . But they shouldn't be required to achieve a stable detector , and it doesn't solve the wildly fluctuating Vdi # s I mentioned earlier!

Either way I'm going to end up shelling out money for a detector, my brother wants a whites so I'm going to sell him my mxt pro an either a. Get an mxt all pro or b. Get a vx3. Having owned a mxt I know what the machine is capable of, and for the most part it works in this South Carolina clay. On the other hand I have a friend who owns a v3i and although he struggles with it at times, I have never seen a machine that can find the gold and silver like it can. I thank you guys for your input and I'm definitely taking it all into consideration.

When my V3i was in the shop for a toggle replacement, I hunted with my MXT Pro. I have made some pretty amazing finds with the MXT, but I now prefer the V3i. You can't go wrong with a multi frequency machine - salt beach, correlate, etc. Seeing the signal strength of all three frequencies has become an indispensable tool. Once you put 100-200 hours on the VX3 you will never go back. GL

I went from a DFX to a VX3 and love the VX3 more. The screen is amazing and it is a huge improvement over the DFX, MXT. you can simply run a stock program or run a tweaked one. And do you know the difference in the MXT and the MXT ALL PRO? The matte finish and ground balance I think. Not a lot of difference

The MXT will get as deep as the VX3 or the V3i with the right coil, I would only think of going to the VX3 over the MXT if your going to be doing a lot of beach detecting. It would be best to go for the V3i over the VX3 though as there's a lot more you can change to tailor to your hunting needs. HH

The mxt is a great relic machine and is actually better than most new machines, but the vx3 is a great all around machine, I love mine for relics but sometimes I like to coin shoot, the VX3 is just better than the mxt imho

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back