whites to minelab

indianhead

Jan 18, 2008
I have been looking into upgrading from a whites Prizm iv to a ??? Talked to a dealer today and he's sold on the minelab co. I feel that the minelab quattro may be a good machine and in my price range. Any info or pros and cons would be helpful. I have been lurking on this site for over a year and hope to someday soon post pics. You guys and girls are the best. Love to see the old coins which is what I am mostly intereted in.

Hey,

I'm using a Prizm III and am also upgrading, but I'm going to be getting a Tesoro. My reason is that:

1) They are rugged and dependable
2) They can do all that the others can do but at a cheaper price (hundreds less)
3) They are straight forward, no nonsense machines
4) They are light weight (much like the Prizm)
5) The have a lifetime Guarantee

Don't get me wrong, I looked at the minelabs too and I really liked them, but I think this the best choice for the kind of hunting I'm going to do (coins, jewelry and relics).

Just my .02 cents

I just upgraded from a very OLD Whites (6000 Di) to a Minelab X-terra 30, and to be perfectly frank, I don't see THAT much difference. Sure, the newer Minelab is much lighter, seems to get better depth, and has better discrimination, but still, I find myself relying mostly on the quality of the signal. I mean, if it's rock solid and doesn't change as you sweep it over the target, you can be sure you have a good coin. If it breaks up, changes meter value, or goes backwards in value, it's most likely junk. With THAT rule, you can find success with just about any meter. I was leaning towards Tesoro, too, as I heard good things about it from my club members, but in the end, found a good deal on eBay for the MineLab. Hope that helps.

I don't put much stock in brand loyalty. All the major brands make some quality machines. I have had the same MXT 5 years now, because I like it. I have bought and tried several other detectors and they ended up on ebay after giving them a fair shot. If you are set on a Minelab I would look at the Xterra, if you like the feel of your whites then look at the M6 and highly recommend you look at the Tesoro line up. My point is, if you are going to have to keep this upgrade for awhile, you want to make sure you truly like it. Good Luck to you.

Minelabs are without a doubt good machines . That being said you hear less about the quattro than any other minelab . For some reason the quattro doesn't seem very popular . If I wanted a minelab in that price range it would probably be the X70 . I'm one of the people who is leaning towards tesoro .
I only know what I've gleaned from reading hundreds of reviews . Good luck with whatever you choose .

Major brand detectors all have their good and bad points. But all detectors are like a car...Only as good as the nut behind the wheel. ;D ;D

I'd take the 800-900ish dollars you're going to spend and get a used Explorer II on Ebay. You'll have a confirmed and solid machine. I don't own or have used a Quattro, but if I had to ask myself why there aren't many of them around, I think it's because the machine is simply an Explorer with a screen and functions that more closely resemble other detectors, and speaking of functions, it appears to lack the editing ones that the Explorers have, along with a lack of the smartscreen, etc. So for a couple hunred less I think you're getting an Explorer stripped of the Explorer functions and a display that resembles other detectors I think. I don't think there is a market for that. People either use a metal detector that sounds and has similar operational screens like others or jump into the different world of the Explorers. No in between I guess. Performance wise, I wouldn't doubt it if it were the same. Some people say the Quattro is slow to recover? Again, function. Maybe if it has something similar to the "Fast" setting, that issue could be helped. I should get a Quattro just to compare. Ok, I don't have money to throw away, but I've always been curious about the Quattro.

Minelab is a very good company and has good detectors. That being said I have heard more negative than positive about the Quattro than any other detector they make. I run the X-Terra 70 and really like it. Very easy to use and learn. If I was buying new and looking for ease of use and non program mode I would look at the 70.

That being said If I wanted program ability I would look at the Explorer Models they have. Either used or new. They are awesome machines and will do you well. Good luck with your search.

I made the big change from a White's Spectrum I bought in 1991, to a Minelab Sovereign GT in July. I think I had become addicted to the meter readout over the years. My very first detector was a White's Coinmaster IV in 1977. It had no meter, of course, and I dug more junk but I found more varied goodies with the Coinmaster. I have found alot of good stuff with my Spectrum over 15+ yrs of using it, but deep down I wanted to get back to a sound-only machine. After reading the Tnet forums for a long time, I settled into the Minelab forum, and the GT stood out with the 17 diff freqs simultaneously being transmitted and the tone ID. I came close to getting the Tesoro Tejon, very close, based on the good stuff I have read about it being a fantastic machine. I have been very happy with the GT, but am still learning the machine. I can clearly see the potential of continued patience and practice. Learning the sounds and characteristics of them. I just ordered a Sunray S-1 probe, and am about to order a Sunray S-12 Intruder coil. I am venturing into some new territory with the probe and the large coil, but have been reading some good stuff on both for the GT. I have found an 1853 half dime, 1899 Barber Quarter, 1900 Barber dime, lots of wheaties, 2 indians, 1 buffalo nickel and a Triton Titanium wedding band (the band was found at Onslow Beach, Camp Lejeune my first trip to the beach with the GT). Not too bad. Anyway, I am glad I moved to Minelab. Who knows what I will upgrade to in another 15 yrs. HH Bryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back