Whites Spectrum XLT

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi MacDog. . . my first detector was an XLT (bought in 2005) and it is a wonderful machine.
In my area (NW suburbs of Chicago), I've pulled silver dimes running the stock programs over 8"-deep.
I found it to be killer on nickels & shotgunshell headstamps (the nature of the beast) but the only drawback
was there were only two or three coils that were compatible.

Right now I'm using a Whites V3i (which I love) but as a back-up, I'm considering a Whites MXT. . . the
MXT has more than 5 coils and I've spoken with friends that have MXT's and they love them. . . hope this helps.

Mark

Hi MacDog. . . my first detector was an XLT (bought in 2005) and it is a wonderful machine.
In my area (NW suburbs of Chicago), I've pulled silver dimes running the stock programs over 8"-deep.
I found it to be killer on nickels & shotgunshell headstamps (the nature of the beast) but the only drawback
was there were only two or three coils that were compatible.

Right now I'm using a Whites V3i (which I love) but as a back-up, I'm considering a Whites MXT. . . them
MXT has more than 5 coils and I've spoken with friends that have MXT's and they love them. . . hope this helps.

Mark
Right now I'm running the At Pro absolutely love it, but it sucks bad on bottle caps. Also use Whites coinmaster Gt which does great on trash but bad on depth. how's the Xlt on discriminating bottle caps?

I bought a XLT new and used it till it literally fell apart on me. Loved the machine. Using a DFX now mainly because of the wider choice of coils. I could get a dime at 8" easily
with the 950 coil. Lots of options and settings.

Right now I'm running the At Pro absolutely love it, but it sucks bad on bottle caps. Also use Whites coinmaster Gt which does great on trash but bad on depth. how's the Xlt on discriminating bottle caps?

I've never been too much of a fan for discriminating out bottle caps for fear of missing out on the nicer targets (which I'm glad I dug). . . I'm semi-retired and all I have is time.
I do, however, pay close attention to target depth and will swing over both directions for repeatable signals befor digging. In my opinion, there are too many
variables to not dig a questionable target.

Hello MackDog,

I bought a White’s DFX for my backup machine with the 950 coil. That coil is dead-on with pinpointing. The detector has many adjustments (around 44), but can reach very deep when correctly setup for your hunting area. Look on the internet auction site for great deals, I bought mine new (NOS) in the box, in September 2014 for $ 400 dollars. Here is the kicker, called White’s and spoke to a customer service representative and they gave me a full two warranty for a machine built in 2006. Now that is service to brag about! Good luck in your search.

Regards,

XLT has an adjustment called "Bottlecap Reject", so you can make bottlecap signals break up for ID ...I swung my beloved XLT for 15 years, then got the DFX, which is a gold finding monster for me.

The xlt is a rather ... uh ... "dated" machine. I also detested the annoying delay in the screen's TID cursor-bounce coordnates. You had to swing, then wait a second for the resultant cursor ID.

Depthwise, there are other machines now which afford more depth, while not sacrificing on target separation or TID. And as for bottle caps, no, I would not rely on the bottle cap reject feature. You're better off to simply employ the following trick: speed up the swing speed over suspected bottle caps. If the signal "breaks up", then it's a bottle cap. If it gets stronger, then it's a conductive target.

The problem with relying on the machines "bottle-cap-reject" option, is that it dumbs down the signal so.... that you are muffling signals, and loosing depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back