Whites Housing Stand?

Re: White's Housing Stand?

They do make some nice covers for alot of brand detectors, the name of them is Thesaurus and they are handmade and fit like a glove. These are really nice if your detector has knobs and switches as the covers keep the saplings and branches from turning knobs and flipping the switches when detecting in the woods. They don't sell them here but I know a detector store in the UK that carries them.

wingmaster said:
They do make some nice covers for alot of brand detectors, the name of them is Thesaurus and they are handmade and fit like a glove. These are really nice if your detector has knobs and switches as the covers keep the saplings and branches from turning knobs and flipping the switches when detecting in the woods. They don't sell them here but I know a detector store in the UK that carries them.
Really? cause the cover for my DFX s#@ks!! dirt and moisture gets under it because its open to go around the mounting bar the bottom isn't covered completely and there's only a flap over the stereo port. The "bag" that goes over the meter is good tho.
Don.

Do you have the Thesaurus brand covers? They seem to be the best made I've seen unless there's some I haven't seen.

I know what you mean coilfisher, those rubber "nubs" didn't cut it for me, neither did the covers. I made a stand and clear vinyl cover for my mxt so that the pot shafts go thru the cover and can make adjustments, made it mostly to prevent scratches and keep the dust out also helps on those dewey mornings, and may buy me some time if i get caught in a shower, Jhar.

Attachments

• mxtcover.jpg
    mxtcover.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,002

I think they make a metal base that screws onto the unit's bottom to lift it up a bit from the ground (sold as a separate attatchment).
Does that work well with the rain covers? How well does it lift it up?

I don't think you could use the stand with a cover as the cover wouldn't fit over the stand.

This is one I purchased off the internet not sure where but I think it was ebay. It just snaps on right in front of the control box. I have tried all of the covers and the little metal stand from White's but this one is by far the best. It will also take another nipple between the snap on part and the stand if you want it to hold your detector higher off the grond.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 697

Jhar....How did you join the seams together on your plastic/nylon box cover? I'm thinking glue? One of the "amazing new construction adhesives" or super glues?

I used self sticking velcro, didn't want to use any harsh adhesive, the cover just wraps around and secures to the box, and the front folds over and sticks to the top, hope that made sense ???

Yes Jhar, it made sense,... now I can't tell much from the pic, but it looks like the stand is made from PVC fittings and secured, with one of my favorite building accessories, the snap tie. Then sprayed a nice flat black...Great idea I like your stand. Going to home Depot tomorrow, anyway, I'll pick up the fittings, I'm making one.

wow! you have some good eyes. What do you mean?, you can't tell much, you nailed it (2) Ts, (2) 45s (2) end caps, and (3) I think,short 3/4 pieces just to extend the neck and stance, and blk plastic textured paint, adheres to plastic/smooth surfaces better oh and most important, (2) blk zip ties Have fun :thumbsup: just be careful not to cut too much off of the tee that secures to the shaft, Jhar

CoilFisher said:
I think they make a metal base that screws onto the unit's bottom to lift it up a bit from the ground (sold as a separate attatchment).
Does that work well with the rain covers? How well does it lift it up?

Yes, there is a metal stand available for slightly less than 6.00 before shipping. It does a great job of holding the detector up off wet ground. About a one inch lift at the front of the detector. Add another 1/2 inch if you put the rubber bumpers on the stand (kind of goofy looking though).
AFAIK, nobody makes a weather cover that fits over the metal stand.
I've used the metal stands for years, and consistantly bend them off to the side somehow, so I quit using them. I don't use anything under the detector except the rubber bumpers that come with them and I have had no issues in the wet. Of course, I don't set it down in standing water, but then, I don't kneel in standing water either.

CoilFisher said:
White's makes a real good product. What I don't understand is why they dont have some type of hard plastic mount that is BUILT
into the housing to keep it off the ground and wet grass? :dontknow:

I did the same question when purchased my mxt, why they didn't include some sort of stand to keep the detector's control box free of moisture?

I ended up making one myself with light alumminum, fixing it with the screws on the back

something like this shape, hope it helps

|_ _|
| |
|________|

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back