Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Finds 002.jpg
    Finds 002.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 465
This is just a "shot". I am not for sure about the Sovereign part,other than that would be like the best of the best and the only thing that comes to mind,would be the Henry McKenna Distillery that used to be in Fairfield,Ky and they used to sell Whiskey in the 70's known as hand made sour Whiskey.The distillery i think was built around 1868. This is all from memory and i failed the vegetable test,so this might be wasted reference. :icon_scratch:
Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
That's a Classic of an avatar BuckleBoy :thumbsup:
Any treasure like this Whiskey label is a subject close to my heart, or maybe that should be, my liver ;D
I spent some time looking around but no Sovereigns found. However, I did find an 1880 article on a blog mentioning Mr T.J. Monarch, circa 1808, sour mash distiller. Monarch/Sovereign :icon_scratch:

"Old Bourbon”

Kentucky the Source of the Genuine Bourbon - How it is Made.

About three months ago the Journal was induced to send of its representatives into Kentucky, and while there to make a personal examination of the immense whisky distillery interest of that state. Kentucky has and does now stand head and shoulders over any state in the Union, or, in fact, of ant underneath the sun, for the production of a thoroughly first class fine whisky. After making the rounds of the distilleries in Anderson, Nelsen, Fayette, Franklin and Jefferson counties, and giving the readers of the Journal the result of his personal examination, he then went to Owenboro, Davies county, the home of genuine sour mash whisky.

Davies county claims, and very justly, too, that the fist to produce the genuine hand-made old-fashioned fine copper distilled sour mash whisky. Mr. T. J. Monarch commenced the manufacture of this article as far back as 1808 (?). Since that time fully a dozen first class houses of this kind have been put in operation with wonderful success, and now Davies county produces more first-class fine sour mash whisky than any other county. The revenue paid into the Untied States revenue department for sour mash whisky and tobacco for Davies county doubles that paid by any other county in any state in the Union"
from http://www.artofdrink.com/2008/10/bourbon-how-it-is-made-1880.php

And for other whiskey or whisky lovers everywhere, this site has a HUGE selection. The whiskey on the page you land on first is very familiar to me. It has the name of my first son. I've bought the odd bottle or two.
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-33.aspx?pg=4

I'll keep looking BuckleBoy.
Mike

Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
That's a Classic of an avatar BuckleBoy :thumbsup:
Any treasure like this Whiskey label is a subject close to my heart, or maybe that should be, my liver ;D
I spent some time looking around but no Sovereigns found. However, I did find an 1880 article on a blog mentioning Mr T.J. Monarch, circa 1808, sour mash distiller. Monarch/Sovereign :icon_scratch:

"Old Bourbon”

Kentucky the Source of the Genuine Bourbon - How it is Made.

About three months ago the Journal was induced to send of its representatives into Kentucky, and while there to make a personal examination of the immense whisky distillery interest of that state. Kentucky has and does now stand head and shoulders over any state in the Union, or, in fact, of ant underneath the sun, for the production of a thoroughly first class fine whisky. After making the rounds of the distilleries in Anderson, Nelsen, Fayette, Franklin and Jefferson counties, and giving the readers of the Journal the result of his personal examination, he then went to Owenboro, Davies county, the home of genuine sour mash whisky.

Davies county claims, and very justly, too, that the fist to produce the genuine hand-made old-fashioned fine copper distilled sour mash whisky. Mr. T. J. Monarch commenced the manufacture of this article as far back as 1808 (?). Since that time fully a dozen first class houses of this kind have been put in operation with wonderful success, and now Davies county produces more first-class fine sour mash whisky than any other county. The revenue paid into the Untied States revenue department for sour mash whisky and tobacco for Davies county doubles that paid by any other county in any state in the Union"
from http://www.artofdrink.com/2008/10/bourbon-how-it-is-made-1880.php

And for other whiskey or whisky lovers everywhere, this site has a HUGE selection. The whiskey on the page you land on first is very familiar to me. It has the name of my first son. I've bought the odd bottle or two.
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-33.aspx?pg=4

I'll keep looking BuckleBoy.
Mike

Awesome! Thanks for your continued help on this one.

I actually wonder if "Sovereign" is some sort of a quality designation--either real, or imagined (as in the case with "treble gilt :wink:). So it might not be a brand--but it seems odd to have the crown and go to the trouble of stamping brass labels for a "quality" or classification mark.

I also wonder if it was labeled Sovereign to relate it to Irish whiskeys--much in the same way of the "Russian" suspender clip, "China" in general, or many other such advertising... :icon_scratch:

I'm still looking too.

Regards,

Buckles

Upvote 0
LMAO

Nuts of Rusty Steel. What does that signify I wonder. Something about wear out or rust out? ;D

Daryl

Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
LMAO

Nuts of Rusty Steel. What does that signify I wonder. Something about wear out or rust out? ;D

Daryl

Oops. I should've done the Electrolysis first! :P

Upvote 0
I like whisky. I think when "whisky" is spelled "whiskey" it denotes Kentucky made. or the other way around. I like whiskey.

Upvote 0
Hey Buckles, are those found below the "Rust Belt?"...........nge

Upvote 0
i apologise for derailing your post asking about your nuts :-\

Upvote 0
aa battery said:
i apologise for derailing your post asking about your nuts :-\

:D

Figured it was time for an avatar change... :wink:

Upvote 0
Not to take the fun away from your thread. :D But the Royal Sovereign whiskey was produced by Mccormick distillery out of Weston Mo. They recently celebrated their 150th anniversary. They are one of very few that survived the Volsted act. Here is a piece of the article I found. and the link to it.

http://www.beverageworld.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=32843

The distillery also produces such additional brands as the premium tequila Hussong’s and proprietary brands of
gin (Cambridge, Congress, Royal Sovereign), whiskey (Canadian Woods, Stillbrook, Royal Gentleman), rum (Montego
Bay, Ron Rio, Saratoga) and the Rio Grande brand of tequila, triple sec and Margarita mix.
With such a rich history and broad line of products, McCormick’s Missouri distillery has become something of a
destination for aficionados. Although the company no longer gives tours of the historic Weston facility, its brands are everpresent
at the McCormick’s Country Store in Weston. The store also sells a full line of McCormick-branded
memorabilia, allowing the public to own a piece of distilling history.

Nice piece, and thanks for the laughs!

Upvote 0
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Not to take the fun away from your thread. :D But the Royal Sovereign whiskey was produced by Mccormick distillery out of Weston Mo. They recently celebrated their 150th anniversary. They are one of very few that survived the Volsted act. Here is a piece of the article I found. and the link to it.

http://www.beverageworld.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=32843

The distillery also produces such additional brands as the premium tequila Hussong’s and proprietary brands of
gin (Cambridge, Congress, Royal Sovereign), whiskey (Canadian Woods, Stillbrook, Royal Gentleman), rum (Montego
Bay, Ron Rio, Saratoga) and the Rio Grande brand of tequila, triple sec and Margarita mix.
With such a rich history and broad line of products, McCormick’s Missouri distillery has become something of a
destination for aficionados. Although the company no longer gives tours of the historic Weston facility, its brands are everpresent
at the McCormick’s Country Store in Weston. The store also sells a full line of McCormick-branded
memorabilia, allowing the public to own a piece of distilling history.

Nice piece, and thanks for the laughs!

You are WONDERFUL! Thank you SO much for finding this information! :thumbsup:

I'm happy to have a company and some history to go along with the find. I knew it could be something cool when I found it, and I remember thinking that it was the type of find that probably only rarely survived.

Cool! :)

Upvote 0
now that you know you know all about the outfit you know you've got to "sample" their product --just to satisfy your need to know what their stuff taste like. :wink: ;D :D ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back