While doing some final excavating at the cemetery over the past several days ...

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
... I found this flag all clumped up with the dirt. I can only guess this has been buried since the late 1960's when the drunk on the bulldozer destroyed the graveyard. At any rate, I brought it home and soaked it in lukewarm water with Dawn Dishwashing Soap, and even though the flag is very fragile, badly stained by the red dirt, and is pretty torn and tattered, I was pleasantly surprised at the end result. Being Veteran's Day, I felt compelled to share it here. Otherwise, I probably would not have posted it as I'm not sure it is really a worthy find. It will be a wall hanger for me.
piedmont cemetery flag nov 8 2023.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 54
It may not be the typical find, but it's a cool find none the less. Nice save. If you hadn't found it, it would have been lost forever.

... I found this flag all clumped up with the dirt. I can only guess this has been buried since the late 1960's when the drunk on the bulldozer destroyed the graveyard. At any rate, I brought it home and soaked it in lukewarm water with Dawn Dishwashing Soap, and even though the flag is very fragile, badly stained by the red dirt, and is pretty torn and tattered, I was pleasantly surprised at the end result. Being Veteran's Day, I felt compelled to share it here. Otherwise, I probably would not have posted it as I'm not sure it is really a worthy find. It will be a wall hanger for me.
View attachment 2114512
Cool Find!!! Congrats!!!

Historical significance of American flags, it is a study for the experts. I used AI to prepare a brief report on this subject.

Significance of Fiber Samples to Study or Identify Older American Flags​

Studying or identifying older American flags, specifically those from 1960 and older, can be a challenging task. However, fiber samples can play a significant role in this process. Fiber analysis can provide valuable information about the materials used in the construction of the flag, which can help determine its age and authenticity.
Fiber samples can be significant in the following ways:
  1. Material Identification: Analyzing fiber samples can help identify the type of fabric used in the flag's construction. Different eras may have used different materials, such as cotton, wool, or synthetic fibers. By comparing the fiber composition of the flag with known historical information about flag materials, experts can make informed assessments about its age.
  2. Weave Patterns: Fiber samples can reveal the weave patterns used in the flag's construction. Different time periods may have employed distinct weaving techniques, which can provide clues about the flag's age. Analyzing the weave patterns can help experts determine if the flag is consistent with the time period it claims to be from.
  3. Dye Analysis: Fiber samples can also be used to analyze the dyes used in the flag's design. Different periods may have used specific dyeing techniques or color palettes, which can be indicative of the flag's age. By examining the dye composition, experts can gain insights into the flag's historical context.
  4. Condition Assessment: Fiber samples can help assess the condition of the flag. By examining the fibers under a microscope, experts can identify signs of deterioration, such as fading, discoloration, or damage caused by environmental factors. This information can contribute to understanding the flag's age and history.
It is important to note that while fiber analysis can provide valuable insights, it is just one aspect of flag identification. Other factors, such as design elements, stitching techniques, and historical documentation, should also be considered to form a comprehensive assessment.

Creskol, Very Well Done Sir! Sometimes, Sentiment, and Patriotism far exceed any dollar value to a certain relic, or item. This is definitely one of those times. Your care in cleaning and preserving this small flag was well worth the time and effort spent. I too agree with placing this in a frame behind glass for further preservation. You know the story of this small flag, where it came from, and how it was found. This, along with the fact that you are a Patriot make this small flag Priceless. Congrat's to you, and Thanks for sharing this with us. Our country needs more folks like yourself. :usflag:

What a cool find. I love the patina and wear. I would frame it too. How big is it?
FYI- Hobby Lobby does 50% off on frames every other week if you have one around you.
U.S.A. :usflag:
Thank you ModernMiner! :hello: The flag measures roughly 28" x 40" inches if you measure to the ends of frayed edges.

Cool Find!!! Congrats!!!
Pretty cool, good job on the save!
Historical significance of American flags, it is a study for the experts. I used AI to prepare a brief report on this subject.

Significance of Fiber Samples to Study or Identify Older American Flags​

Studying or identifying older American flags, specifically those from 1960 and older, can be a challenging task. However, fiber samples can play a significant role in this process. Fiber analysis can provide valuable information about the materials used in the construction of the flag, which can help determine its age and authenticity.
Fiber samples can be significant in the following ways:
  1. Material Identification: Analyzing fiber samples can help identify the type of fabric used in the flag's construction. Different eras may have used different materials, such as cotton, wool, or synthetic fibers. By comparing the fiber composition of the flag with known historical information about flag materials, experts can make informed assessments about its age.
  2. Weave Patterns: Fiber samples can reveal the weave patterns used in the flag's construction. Different time periods may have employed distinct weaving techniques, which can provide clues about the flag's age. Analyzing the weave patterns can help experts determine if the flag is consistent with the time period it claims to be from.
  3. Dye Analysis: Fiber samples can also be used to analyze the dyes used in the flag's design. Different periods may have used specific dyeing techniques or color palettes, which can be indicative of the flag's age. By examining the dye composition, experts can gain insights into the flag's historical context.
  4. Condition Assessment: Fiber samples can help assess the condition of the flag. By examining the fibers under a microscope, experts can identify signs of deterioration, such as fading, discoloration, or damage caused by environmental factors. This information can contribute to understanding the flag's age and history.
It is important to note that while fiber analysis can provide valuable insights, it is just one aspect of flag identification. Other factors, such as design elements, stitching techniques, and historical documentation, should also be considered to form a comprehensive assessment.
Creskol, Very Well Done Sir! Sometimes, Sentiment, and Patriotism far exceed any dollar value to a certain relic, or item. This is definitely one of those times. Your care in cleaning and preserving this small flag was well worth the time and effort spent. I too agree with placing this in a frame behind glass for further preservation. You know the story of this small flag, where it came from, and how it was found. This, along with the fact that you are a Patriot make this small flag Priceless. Congrat's to you, and Thanks for sharing this with us. Our country needs more folks like yourself. :usflag:
Thank you all very much. :icon_thumleft: The info Red_desert provided is very interesting. Devidog, a find like this really touches me for some reason..very special to me. I like everybody's thoughts on framing it and placing the history along with it.

I have been thinking about having this framed and giving it back to the church to hang in their library, along with a framed history of when, where, why, and how it was recovered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back