which one?

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
i was wondering if you can tell me if this is a musket ball or a shotgun slug. im hoping the first but thats why im asking cause i dont know. i did some research and think its a musketball because of a thing called a SPRUE. its what that flat part could be when they cut the ball out when making it.. i think.

Attachments

• IMG_1225 (2).JPG
    IMG_1225 (2).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1225 (2).JPG
    IMG_1225 (2).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1226 (2).JPG
    IMG_1226 (2).JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 283
musket ball... but my modern replica muzzleloader fired balls with a dimple like that. The flat spot is to face up when loading, according to instructions.

Upvote 0
It's either a musket ball, or a rifle ball, or a pistol ball. The tit on the ball is the spru, which is left when casting the lead ball. Lots of people shoot muzzle loaders now, so there is a possibility that the ball is modern.

Upvote 0
Check it with a magnet. If it were old lead - a molded ball - it would be smoother and have a whitish covering. I'm thinking it is iron as well.

Daryl

Upvote 0
yeah i thought of that. i checked it with a magnet the other day and didnt get any effect. so im not sure. but if it were iron wouldnt it have some rust? or it would just depend on how long it would be in the ground.

Upvote 0
With just a picture, it's hard to tell dirt from rust. Has it been cleaned? It just looks '''rough" to me and I wouldn't expect lead to look that way.

Daryl

Attachments

• OtherBullet.jpg
    OtherBullet.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 151
  • TN11.jpg
    TN11.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 158
  • OtherBullet.jpg
    OtherBullet.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0
no i havnt cleaned it yet. whats the best way. it isnt completely smooth as it has little bumps all over it like very tiny zits or something,,, kind of like that first pic u posted by the gold coin.most of the musketballs ive seen have been white but wikipedia shows em this dark grey color ...idk

Upvote 0
I've had pretty good luck with a soft toothbrush, warm water, and dishsoap. I've also soaked them in olive oil for a bit and then washed them.

Just a note. If you do have a nice old bullet with nice white patina, you DO NOT want to wash that off. But this bullet/thing doesn't meet the criteria.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back