Which coins to buy...any suggestions

Spend the absolute highest amount on the best condition coin/s you can afford,

don't buy "junk" that is worn out and only $5 or $10 or $20

those types of coins are very common and basically never appreciate in value.

If it were me, "and this is only my opinion of coin collecting for 25 yrs or more" - I'd buy uncirculated coins only, and no new era junk either (i.e.) made in the last 75 yrs. unless it's "key date" but definatly nothing newer than 60 yrs. old.

Morgan dollars, old gold coins, key date coins, tougher date/mint coins are all good choices/investments.

just my 3 cent nickels worth,

HH

Lonewolfe

Hi Mike, I have collected coins since I was 7. Coin collections can be made up of whatever you wish. I started out with those old blue Whitman folders for all the common stuff and have since moved into more advanced collections in Dansco albums. Some people collect one type of each coin, or only silver or gold. The choice is yours :D. You can never go wrong investing in coins. Many semi-key dates are still very affordable and offer long range stability if you ever do sell them. I myself love silver, anything silver!!! Whether it be rolls of common stuff or even culls, I don't care. I believe silver is still undervalued and will continue to rise in price. This in turn will make coins follow suit. Sorry for the long post, hopefully I haven't confused you!!!! Get yourself a Red Book and go collecting, before long you'll know what you'd like to do.
HH
Greg

Look at the 1950d nickels in B.U. For a semi- key date it is still affordable. I would also check out slabbed (third party graded coins) But stick with pcgs or ngc.

Or you could collect old coins, for instance i collect 3 cent pieces, shield nickels, large cents, half cents, seated coins, 2 cents peices, etc....Dunno why but i just love the really old ones :)

I collect a few different ways. I buy... Common low grade Silver ( Just to fill the books ), BU/High Grade Older Silver-Coins, New Bollion coins and Old Bollion coins. (Rare gold and silver coins.)

Purchase old rare BU/High grade, gold and silver coins if you can. I think they will be the best investment.

But like most investments you never know what will go up and down and when it will.

Keep @ it and HH!!

I buy the really old ones. I don't collect for profit really, but its a good way to profit! Also i buy really discounted coins that are advertised as "no-date" and i can sometimes find the date on em.

I agree with Lonewolf. Buy the highest grade that you can afford. Although I like older type coins, the best investment is in rare dates in high grade. But BEWARE of counterfeits.

The absolute best investment right now is copper lincoln memorial cents from 1959-1981. They are now worth more as scrap than as coins. Keep all that you find and mine the local banks for more. Get familiar with the photograde standards for XF and AU lincoln memorials and hoard them. Scrap out the rest as roll sets or junk metal and buy more coins. Eventually they will fetch two or three cents apiece in any condition just like wheats used to be. The sage of segundo recommended that back in the early eighties and anyone who followed his advice then is in high clover now. The laws against scrapping money were cancelled a long time ago. exanimo, ss

Great advice Siegfried Schlagrule,

I have 5 set's of AU-BU 1982 small date large date coins. ( Do they count? ) Then I have 100's more maybe even 1000's more lose penny's, where I have pulled 7 wheats so far. With piles of 1960's - 2000 + (In the picture the Wheat's are top left, 1950's pile bellow those and then 60's - 2000 + left to right. The Big pile on the bottom is unsearched)

Here are the pics!

Attachments

• pennies 001.jpg
    pennies 001.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 368
  • pennies 003.jpg
    pennies 003.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 345
  • pennies 004.jpg
    pennies 004.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 356
  • pennies 005.jpg
    pennies 005.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 364
gold topped out at about $850 dollars when silver touched $82. Gold is now around $400 but silver is near $7 instead of the $4 that you would expect if it acted like gold. I wouldn't call that always appreciates. Lots of scared folks bought gold when it ran up and still have it waiting to just get their money back. Most of them will die before that happens. Buy low sell high no matter what you're investing in. exanimo, ss P.S. A large proportion of the fake coins out there are in fantastic condition. It's very hard to fake a worn coin. They could maybe alter it but an out and out fake is very unlikely. I'm told that 40-75% of the coins in most high grade indian cent sets are fakes.

those seven coin 1982 sets are being bought by investors to get the 1982 zinc large date and small dates. The rest are spenders. The rarest one fetches $2 and the other one 50 cents in MS65. I would hoard any circulated non dug specimen of the 1982 zinc small date. exanimo, ss

it really depends on you i collect everything in every condition, i collect/ then i invest i have major keys that i spent big money on an they truly are the better infestments but for the addict in me (Coins that is)it just doesnt satisfy me investment coins naturally gold and silver coins older definately anything else mint mark is key Carson city ,any thing with that on it 1909-s , 1909s-VDB lincoln etc 1877 Indian 1916D mercury these are all good investments

:)
i agree with most of what folks are saying on here, but stick with scoutjims the best.
right now key dates as they're doing nothing but going up, gold as thats just going up
and will continue going up for the next year or so i think, and dang near any Carson City
coins.
gold is doing real good and thats what I've been buying. folks thought it would max out last year
at $350 an oz, but its now hanging around $470 an oz and slowly climbing. if you opt for modern
coins, those are speculative but you can profit from them. buy them now while they're cheap!
but you have to pay attention to the market, and that takes a while to learn. while i love my older
coins, i also buy new coins. some i bought through trying to study the market (along with ones that
appealed to me!) and some have tripled in value the past couple of years. I've paid $35 or so from the US Mint for some modern commemoratives that are now selling for over $100.
And can i speak from experience? yes! I'm the prez of a local coin club and have a massive collection of thousands and thousands of coins. I guess you could say coins are my crack cocaine! I'm totally hooked! But if you want to get into collecting, collect some of the above for investment purchases... but honestly to me, the best coins to collect are the ones that mean something to you personally. Whether colonial coins from your home state or ones you buy for aesthetic reasons. For me, those are the ones I enjoy the most! :D

I have been collecting coins for 20+ years now. I collect for myself and they are not necessarily an investment. I'm not going to be able to retire on them, nor would I ever sale them. With that being said, heres my advice....Collect what you like. If a coin is in fair condition and not a key-date, but it appeals to you, then get it! I try to stay above the EF mark, but I have a few lower grade coins that I love just as well.

Just my two cents.....Hey! Did I check the dates on those?

A real good investment right now is 1996 American Silver Eagles! 2 months ago they bid at $30.00 now they are at $50.00

Keep @ it and HH!!

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
A real good investment right now is 1996 American Silver Eagles! 2 months ago they bid at $30.00 now they are at $50.00

Keep @ it and HH!!

What makes the 1996 American Silver Eagles more valuable?

First decide if you want to be an investor or a collector. There is a HUGE difference.

If you want to be a collector I recommend that you narrow your interest down (e.g., US coins). By learning as much as you can about the history of those coins you may narrow your interest down to a particular denomination or series (e.g., Large Cents or Morgan Dollars or Seated Liberty silver coins). Many collectors (like me) started out with a folder to collect all the dates and mint marks of a series; when I started collecting I was able to find most of my Lincoln Wheat Cents in circulation.

You may decide you like them all and collect by type (i.e., collect a nice example of each type or series - maybe a nice Half Cent, Large Cent, Flying Eagle Cent, Indian Head Cent, Lincoln Wheat Cent and Lincoln Memorial Cent for your copper coin collection and a nice Shield Nickel, V Nickel, Buffalo Nickel, Jefferson Nickel, War Nickel and the modern Jefferson Nickels for your nickel collection).

Reading about coins in books or on the Internet is a good start but nothing compares to seeing and holding the real thing. Attend a coin show and you will see a little bit of everything; you will also be ablel to talk to dealers who generally will be more than glad to answer your questions and offer helpful hints. Join a local coin club.

One of the first things you will learn when you start your coin education is that our smallest denomination coin is called a Cent, not a Penny.

Like some have suggested, buy quality, not junk. The highest quality coins are usually the scarcest and will increase in value the most over time. But if gains are your ultimate goal then you would probably be an investor rather than a collector.

I am new to coins also. I have collected and sold sports trading cards for 20 years but I never got involved with coins. Cards and Coins have some common collecting/investing threads. The comment that was made suggesting that you buy the highest grade coin that you can afford is also advice that hold with cards. I decided that I would buy Morgan Silver Dollars and sealed rolls of Silver Eagles. These are being stored away for my grand children. The decision was based on appearance of the coins and the affortability vs cost. I feel that these silver coins will appreciate to a nice level by the time my grand kids reach 18. They are babies now.
My suggestion is to buy the best you can afford and narrow your collecting focus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back