Wheres the Gold?

IdahoPanner

Mar 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where's the Gold?

Mighty Prospectors,
In the attached picture you will see a creek and its flow (blue arrow). As you can see, the creek opens up in a somewhat dramatic fashion. The creek flows down a narrow canyon (at a fairly steep grade) for at least 5 miles upstream of this point, and there is documented gold in the area. So, my question is: Where would you start prospecting in this picture? Thanks guys.
BTW, I've been reading the forum for a long time, but this is my first time posting.

Attachments

• Wheres the Gold.jpg
    Wheres the Gold.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 601
Upvote 0
Re: Where's the Gold?

I'm interested to see what everyone has to say. I've never really done anything like this before. Just messed around at a creek on my mother in laws property.

You could expect to find gold wherever it is that the rushing water slows down.

With such a vast area I would spend a day sampling at various places. Then you can go back to the best spots & get the most gold!

It's fairly easy to do. Mark each sample. Use a gps or a photo to mark where each sample was taken. Take the samples home & do a Purple Cassius test. You can also do the test in the field but that would take time away from taking samples. Take a lot of samples! Take proper samples! Search the net for soil sampling.

After testing you will have a nice bit of stuff to pan out at home. Dont pan the stuff that was actually tested with the acids. You wont be using/testing the whole sample if you do it right so there will be stuff to play with/pan/whatever.

http://goldminingandprospecting.blogspot.com/2010/12/using-purple-of-cassius-to-check-for.html

past the narrow cut where the water widens and slows down will be a drop zone ,find the bed rock - then clean all cracks ,break open repeat.....

Where's the gold ? Strick's got it all at his house .

Thanks for the info guys! Gotta love this forum. I wasn't familiar with the Purple Cassius Test, but it certainly seems like an efficient gameplan. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. According to the link that Nickmarch posted, it looks like I need some deionized water, a sample of the gold bearing material and a few drops of tin chloride. If it turns purple...I will return back to that gps marked location and MINE until the sun goes down or the beer runs dry.

Strickman, you said
"past the narrow cut where the water widens and slows down will be a drop zone"
Will I physically see that drop zone while I'm scouting the bank?

IP,

You need more than tin chloride and water. You need two parts of concentrated nitric acid in one part of concentrated hydrochloric acid. The result is a very powerful acid called “Aqua Regia” one of the few substances that will dissolve Gold. The other ingredient used in the test is tin chloride solution you can either purchase it alone or you can make it yourself by dissolving the metal tin in some hydrochloric acid.

To perform the test fill a beaker with deionized water followed by a few drops of the gold bearing aqua regia into the water followed by a few drops of the tin chloride solution. The purple of Cassius will then precipitate out of the solution in a depending on the quantity of gold present the precipitation can range from a light pink to a deep purple color. Remember, the deeper purple color there is the more gold there is present.

Hydrochloric acid is the same as muriatic acid which can be bought anywhere where pool chemicals are sold including home depot. You can also get tim solder from home depot to make tin chloride. You can get nitric acid at Graingers and other places online.

you will notice after a narrow cut ,usually the river will widen fairly quickly .when it does this the heavier materials ,hematite ,coarse black sand ,lead, gold ,coarse garnet sand ,heavy blondes etc............ will tend to drop out of suspension due to the water slowing down .resulting in a drop zone . these type deposits can be very good. sometimes at the beginning you can find exposed bedrock with nuggets ,and pickers laying there. the cobbles will tend to be larger and sometimes smoother. will you physically see the drop zone ? ------if you physically pay attention to details you will.

Any of the areas where the river slows. The inside of the turns, where the river gravels build up. Dig deep enough to hit bedrock, if possible. Others are more versed in this stuff. They will help out. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back