Where would an experienced prospector target on this claim?

Wolfsdragoons

Greenie
May 17, 2024
Hi, just curious if there any experienced prospectors out there that would give me some advice as to where you would target prospecting on this claim. It's new to me, one trip up to get a lay of the land, pretty rugged spot, not much trace of recent activity, no established trails, just deer paths and mountain goating to get to the creek. I found some small gold but really haven't worked it at all.
Theres good flow in the creek and it's flowing right to left in the picture, no water currently in the tributaries into the creek.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Any hot spots up on any of the hill sides?
Do test pans all up and down the creek / river to start with. Then start some more pans where the best spots are.

Any hot spots up on any of the hill sides?
Do test pans all up and down the creek / river to start with. Then start some more pans where the best spots are.
Not that I know of, it's a 45 degree slope on either side and not an easy trek along the creek with a full pack. I was so excited to be there for the first time I wanted to dig and sluice. I need to take a deep breath on my next trip and just walk the creek with a pan and shovel.
Since it's so remote and a hell of a trek down and more importantly up. I'm thinking of stashing a shovel, a pan and some buckets at the creek during the season that I'll pack out at the end, not sure if this is frowned upon or not.
The area above the claim was heavily hydraulic'd in the late 1800s early 19s, though I hope they left something for me.

Not that I know of, it's a 45 degree slope on either side and not an easy trek along the creek with a full pack. I was so excited to be there for the first time I wanted to dig and sluice. I need to take a deep breath on my next trip and just walk the creek with a pan and shovel.
Since it's so remote and a hell of a trek down and more importantly up. I'm thinking of stashing a shovel, a pan and some buckets at the creek during the season that I'll pack out at the end, not sure if this is frowned upon or not.
The area above the claim was heavily hydraulic'd in the late 1800s early 19s, though I hope they left something for me.
A simple scan to look for any iron or quartz spots on the hill sides could be a warm spot.
Sounds like a lot of test pans along the river to start with.

I think we are all guilty of letting the fever get a hold of us and just want to process material haha. If I'm going to a new place, I just go with a pan and a shovel the first couple time, so I don't get tempted.
Everyone has their own opinion about stashing tools. As long as you're not trashing the place, and you stash them well out of sight, I doubt anyone would notice. For a more legal answer, you'd want to check with whatever agency has jurisdiction over the land (BLM, DNR, USFS, etc.) about their policy on stashing some equipment.

I think we are all guilty of letting the fever get a hold of us and just want to process material haha. If I'm going to a new place, I just go with a pan and a shovel the first couple time, so I don't get tempted.
Everyone has their own opinion about stashing tools. As long as you're not trashing the place, and you stash them well out of sight, I doubt anyone would notice. For a more legal answer, you'd want to check with whatever agency has jurisdiction over the land (BLM, DNR, USFS, etc.) about their policy on stashing some equipment.
It may not hurt to get the metal detector out from time to time just to look a little deeper into the unknown.

I agree with test pan after test pan. All up and down the creek and up the hillsides. Is there round rocks on the hillsides? Clay lines? If you want an experienced metal detectori
It may not hurt to get the metal detector out from time to time just to look a little deeper into the unknown.
Exactly my thoughts, thats what I would do because Im addicted to detecting gold. However, before I started my detecting addiction I was test panning every single place i could, that’s what told me to chase it up the hills, still getting color in the pan. If you are new to detecting for gold it could be counter productive to start with the detector. There could be good pay streaks of fines that you would surely miss without the trusty gold pan.

I agree with test pan after test pan. All up and down the creek and up the hillsides. Is there round rocks on the hillsides? Clay lines? If you want an experienced metal detectori

Exactly my thoughts, thats what I would do because Im addicted to detecting gold. However, before I started my detecting addiction I was test panning every single place i could, that’s what told me to chase it up the hills, still getting color in the pan. If you are new to detecting for gold it could be counter productive to start with the detector. There could be good pay streaks of fines that you would surely miss without the trusty gold pan.
I agree the metal detector is usually counter productive except checking some out of place rocks from time to time. The simple pan is hard to beat for chasing colors that may lead to a streak area or zone.

I'm thinking of stashing a shovel, a pan and some buckets at the creek during the season that I'll pack out at the end, not sure if this is frowned upon or not.

In a valley with sides that steep be sure and make the cache well above the high water line.

I agree the metal detector is usually counter productive except checking some out of place rocks from time to time. The simple pan is hard to beat for chasing colors that may lead to a streak area or zone.
I have an AT Gold that I'll bring up with me next time. A couple of critical items left when packing was that and my GPS.
The place was strip mined heavily above the creek, apparently where the gold rush town of Port Wine used to be.

I did notice a feature on the sat map that looks like it was worked in the past, maybe a long tom was there. Now that I've figured out the boundaries and how to mark the gps spot I want to check, I'm hoping my next trip will be a little more organized.

As to the stash spot, yeah above the high water line makes sense, was thinking a large camo duffle bag with a shovel, some buckets and a pan would be all I'd need.

I have an AT Gold that I'll bring up with me next time. A couple of critical items left when packing was that and my GPS.
The place was strip mined heavily above the creek, apparently where the gold rush town of Port Wine used to be.

I did notice a feature on the sat map that looks like it was worked in the past, maybe a long tom was there. Now that I've figured out the boundaries and how to mark the gps spot I want to check, I'm hoping my next trip will be a little more organized.

As to the stash spot, yeah above the high water line makes sense, was thinking a large camo duffle bag with a shovel, some buckets and a pan would be all I'd need.
The dip or cut in the slope should be checked out completely if you can.

Using aerial view maps in the website "My Land Matters"* has helped me spot (acquire gps coordinates)and study old workings, find access trails and old abandoned roads in areas of interest. It would probably benefit you to use them too.

Good luck.

*Google it and learn how to use it if you don't already.

Last edited:
Wolfdragoons, There is a lot of cobble on that sweep. You have some exposed bedrock about the 2 o'clock position on the right side but its heavy with sterile brown sand. The nose of the corner is dropping boulders in lines and you can follow that to see if it ribbons anything more than spec gold. If the area from the 9 o'clock position and further down stream is not claimed I would work all the exposed bedrock there and high up. Check high up on what's left of the crest of the of the main slope and where it joins cobble for a crack that has been overlooked. May take some digging. Punch down along the exposed bedrock and remove lots of cobble down to the next ledge. (will take lots of digging). The link below involves a horseshoe corner up in that neck of the woods/ Good Luck and keep the cobble away from your toes'
GM

Last edited:
Using aerial view maps in the website "My Land Matters"* has helped me spot and study old workings, find access trails and old abandoned roads in areas of interest. It would probably benefit you to use them too.

Good luck.

*Google it and learn how to use it if you don'

Wolfdragoons, There is a lot of cobble on that sweep. You have some exposed bedrock about the 2 o'clock position on the right side but its heavy with sterile brown sand. The nose of the corner is dropping boulders in lines and you can follow that to see if it ribbons anything more than spec gold. If the area from the 9 o'clock position and further down stream is not claimed I would work all the exposed bedrock there and high up. Check high up on what's left of the crest of the of the main slope and where it joins cobble for a crack that has been overlooked. May take some digging. Punch down along the exposed bedrock and remove lots of cobble down to the next ledge. (will take lots of digging). Good Luck. Keep the cobble away from your toes.
GM
Thanks for the insight. On my first trip last weekend I found a bench on the creek just to the left of the circle where bedrock is exposed and running under the bench. I trimmed the overgrowth and was only able to work about a foot in after a couple of days. I found some specs and a few flakes but that's about it. I wonder if it makes sense to keep digging into the bench.

I also found a couple of big trees blown down recently up the hill, the exposed hill looks promisin, I think. I'll do some detecting my next trip.

Hi, just curious if there any experienced prospectors out there that would give me some advice as to where you would target prospecting on this claim. It's new to me, one trip up to get a lay of the land, pretty rugged spot, not much trace of recent activity, no established trails, just deer paths and mountain goating to get to the creek. I found some small gold but really haven't worked it at all.
Theres good flow in the creek and it's flowing right to left in the picture, no water currently in the tributaries into the creek.

Thanks in advance
Did you post a picture, I can't find it

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    245.4 KB · Views: 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back