Where should I start my search?

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the view below is of the area I will be detecting tomorrow (Saturday). This was a Pro-Southern Missouri state Guard camp. the top of the picture is North, the red squares are where I found lead and 1 musket ball in a quick 30 minute sampling of the field. The entire area is a hill that slopes from the North to the South with the area adjacent to the creek at the south being the only level spot. I know of 1 point in time when there were 1500 men at this location and that this camp was used for approximately 4 years. I know there were a couple Confederate Officers assigned to this camp.

My question is where would the officers have set up their tents?

Attachments

• highley.jpg
    highley.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
I am not so sure that near the water is where the officers would be. In a camp of this nature that had been used for many years I think the officers would be in areas less prone to flooding. The majority of the men may have been close to the water but less so the officers in a permanent like camp I would think.

The highest point that affords a complete 360 degree view to see the enemy coming in case the pickets were taken out? You will need a modern TOPO map for this because the elevation could have changed because it was farmed. Are you not finding relics in the farmed area? I have a feeling that you are over one pasture to much and you need to go south, east, north or west. I cant tell you how many times that a 50-100 yard change makes in hitting relics or nothing. Last year I discovered a skirmish site that covered 75 yards wide by 200 yards long in a 40 acre plot. It started with the musket balls...hundreds of them from 1836. Then buttons, bayonets, rifle parts and coins. If I never find anything else that made it all for me.

The Ohio State University has all official reports from both sides and you should research it if you think that you have a civil war site.

[The Ohio State University has all official reports from both sides and you should research it if you think that you have a civil war site.
[/quote]

do you have a link to their site or do you need to research in person?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back