✅ SOLVED When I bought my house in 99 ! I learned that the bottom floor at street level had b

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I bought my house in 99' ! I learned that the bottom floor at street lev...

View attachment 1293350View attachment 1293352View attachment 1293353View attachment 1293354View attachment 1293355View attachment 1293356View attachment 1293357View attachment 1293358had been a bar. Floor was shot,tore it up, found this underneath. Base is 2"x6" ,9" tall, weighs 4 pounds, any ideas???

Last edited:
Guessing the loop on the head is part of a railing setup
looks like it was mounted by 4 screws
maybe for a foot or hand rail:?
Brady

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Defiantly a Griffin mounted to something? Maybe in a way like this lamp on some kind of fancy decorative cast iron stairway as mentioned? Pretty fric'n neat find. My guess it's from the later 19th century??

Attachments

• griffin lamp.jpg
    griffin lamp.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Bear with me, every time I type out a detailed explanation my post disappears when I hit send

Upvote 0
The place was a bar in the early 1900's, there were 3 trapdoors in the original floor. Apparently when they cleaned up they just swept the trash down the holes cause there's a 4' high crawlspace underneath littered with busted beer mugs and oyster shells

Upvote 0
Wow ! Deftone solved it! Mine is cast iron,but identical. I was guessing a curtain rod holder but at 4 lbs. it was a stretch. Thanx alot man ! I didn't have a detector back then,but I did leave myself a trapdoor in the new floor to access the plumbing. I have a new adventure to plan, that area is 24'x35'

Upvote 0
No telling what you'll find down there! Good luck!

Upvote 0
Someone please mark this as solved, I don't know where my thread tools are located. Thanks

Upvote 0
Wow ! Deftone solved it! Mine is cast iron,but identical. I was guessing a curtain rod holder but at 4 lbs. it was a stretch. Thanx alot man ! I didn't have a detector back then,but I did leave myself a trapdoor in the new floor to access the plumbing. I have a new adventure to plan, that area is 24'x35'
I think I'd use a sifter and get it all!

Upvote 0
Man I would dig every inch of that crawlspace and screen it all. I'll bet there's some good bottles down there and probably other things that a detector wont find...

Upvote 0
Someone please mark this as solved, I don't know where my thread tools are located. Thanks

Go back to the top of this page and your original post. Just above your name you will see a bar. Follow it to the right and you will see thread tools.

Upvote 0
Went down the rabbit hole last night, spent 2hrs. Scanning,first in discr. and again in all metal, found nothing but bottle caps and scraps of copper wire. I still have to do the other side of the wall.View attachment 1293806

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back