Wheat penny knowledge please

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope I don't have people grumbling about posting something stupid or tell me this has been covered a hundred times. Sorry if that's the case.
Anyway,
My son found a wheat penny at grannys. I looked and it said 1914. O.k., no big deal to me but then my mother-in-law, bless her heart, gets out her spectacles because she doesn't think I can read. She said they were only made in 1943. Could people help me out here so I can impress her with some newfound knowledge? I'd like to know just for myself really, I like wheat pennies for some reason.

Wheat pennies were made from 1909 to 1958. The ones that were only made in 1943 were steel wheat pennies. Steal wheat pennies are easy to spot because of their color.

BTW check your 1914 penny and see if it has a "D" mint mark below the date. If it does then it is worth big bucks $$$$$$$$.

Hey, thanks for the info. The penny does not have a D. :(
Can you tell me what other wheaties are valuable? Granny's been saving change for many years. Maybe she's got a good one in there.

Who ever told you that wheaties were only 1943 must be thinking of the "war" cents. They werent made from copper that year. Steel pennies they call them. Shame the 1914 didnt have a "D" mintmark! From what I understand this year will be the last for the presently minted memorial cent. Supposed to be a new cent in 2009. That means the wheat backs will bring even more of a premium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back