✅ SOLVED Whattya think this was?

DownEast_Detecting

Feb 26, 2020
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a site that is probably late 1800’s but could be anytime. The knobs on the outside, are making me think it sat in something else. And got caught or rested on them. Like it’s gets lowered into a larger cylindrical object. Cuz this thing was obviously round also. So my mind went to a sort of smelting pot of some kind. I’m probably off by by a mile, but whattya think? Am I way out in left field? Is it just a piece off a stove…

D8CF698C-44F6-4832-8A1A-8012EC9ACD01.jpeg

Last edited:
Part of a wrist bracelet for a punk rocker? :laughing7:

Haven't got a clue...but it's a cool piece of something.

Upvote 2
Looks to be part of a vintage crank bearing.
Thanks for the hint in the right direction. Got any pictures. i googled but couldn’t find anything that looked like mine.
bowwinkles got it! It is a poured babbit bearing.
Thank you. Do you have any pictures? I googled both variations crank and poured Babbit and couldn’t come up with anything that resembled mine.

Upvote 1
I have several hit&miss engines and other antique items that have poured and machined babbit bearings. Never thought of taking a picture of a bearing, but I'll try to get one or two when I can.

Upvote 1
See the first 3 pictures in this post...

Upvote 1
I have several hit&miss engines and other antique items that have poured and machined babbit bearings. Never thought of taking a picture of a bearing, but I'll try to get one or two when I can.
no of course not. haha i meant one from googling what you thought it was and clicking on images. Thats what i did with "poured babbitt bearing" and "crank bearing" with "old" or "antique" in front. I didnt have any luck finding anything that looked like mine. But i think invent4hir provided me with a post from here with pictures.

Upvote 0
See the first 3 pictures in this post...
thanks invent4hir!!
now i can see and that is close enough.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back