What’s your Guess

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Looking back over some finds from this year and I’m still stumped on this one. I’ve gotten it narrowed down to 3. I’ve taken a shot of the base which shows the missing ear on the left and the base to the right of the ear. I can’t decide if it’s a broken stem or just the way they made it. I’m thinking of getting it restored cause it’s the only one I’ve ever found like it. I’d kinda like to know the type before I send it off. The flaking to me looks more Archaic than Woodland but you tell me what you think. It was a creek find and the breaks look ancient. NW Georgia Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2427.jpeg
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2428.jpeg
    IMG_2428.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2408.jpeg
    IMG_2408.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2426.jpeg
    IMG_2426.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 9
I guess it could be a Wade to. I do find that type in my area. This example is from Peach State Society which they look different from other examples I’ve seen.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 16
Tough call with that base gone, going by the examples maybe a Wade or Smith.
If it’s a smith which has just recently added as a type in my area that would be worth it. If it’s a Wade not so much. If it’s a Wade it has a total different look from the one whole and the many broken ones I’ve found. I’m not sure the stem is broken but could be., I’d like it to be a Smith. I’m trying to get back to that spot but my life has gotten busy again. Seems to come in waves. Maybe in a week or so.

I like the smith, that Barry square stem in the other comments looks really close. Some days I feel like a lumper others I feel like minor differences are worth division. Looking at that page I don’t know how you call all of those points a smith. It mentions resharpening but there’s plenty of preform and notched points with different names and some… according to one book… like Snyder’s and stuben which could be examples of the same point in various stages. Maybe it’s hard to pin down because smith is a bit nebulous type.

I like the smith, that Barry square stem in the other comments looks really close. Some days I feel like a lumper others I feel like minor differences are worth division. Looking at that page I don’t know how you call all of those points a smith. It mentions resharpening but there’s plenty of preform and notched points with different names and some… according to one book… like Snyder’s and stuben which could be examples of the same point in various stages. Maybe it’s hard to pin down because smith is a bit nebulous type.
Very true it could be like the Elora points I posted some were used as knives and some for darts. The Barry looks just like the Smith just smaller and probably a Dart. I wasn’t set on it being an Eva that’s why I asked. I’m going with a Smith variant for this one. Thanks for the help everyone. I enjoyed the discussion. If anyone else has an opinion I’m all ears.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back