UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's On It..???

:dontknow:

I have posted this in the whatsit forum, but it's more like a what's on it :icon_scratch: Firstly we have a BC Roman Coin (74bc) that was found by my freind last week, it needed a bit of cleaning, but when I cleanded it I could see what looks like a counter stamp, a letter V on its side on the neck of the head, and what looks like a letter C under the chin.
The thing i'm asking is do you think the marks are a counterstamp, and were they put on at a latter date, as the letters dont look like Roman Letters.

I have been searching on the net and not come across any coins like this one that were counterstamped, so I thought I would post it here, to see if any of the guys or galls could shed anymore light on it.

Republican denarius of the moneyer C. Postumius Ta... (or possibly At...), struck at Rome, 74 BC.

Bust of Diana draped right, bow and quiver over her shoulder.

Hound running right, hunting spear below.

SS

Attachments

• RIMG0001.JPG
    RIMG0001.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 116
  • RIMG0004.JPG
    RIMG0004.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
:dontknow:

I have posted this in the whatsit forum, but it's more like a what's on it :icon_scratch: Firstly we have a BC Roman Coin (74bc) that was found by my freind last week, it needed a bit of cleaning, but when I cleanded it I could see what looks like a counter stamp, a letter V on its side on the neck of the head, and what looks like a letter C under the chin.
The thing i'm asking is do you think the marks are a counterstamp, and were they put on at a latter date, as the letters dont look like Roman Letters.

I have been searching on the net and not come across any coins like this one that were counterstamped, so I thought I would post it here, to see if any of the guys or galls could shed anymore light on it.

Republican denarius of the moneyer C. Postumius Ta... (or possibly At...), struck at Rome, 74 BC.

Bust of Diana draped right, bow and quiver over her shoulder.

Hound running right, hunting spear below.

SS
Yes Bramblefind my friend it is related and that's a huge help, Great research just have to figure out the V, which might be a moneyer mark...thanks for taking the time and looking. :notworthy:

SS

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Awesome find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back