Whats it from military training grounds

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSCF3939.JPG
    DSCF3939.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF3940.JPG
    DSCF3940.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 107
Maybe a campfire starter? Dip it in kerosene, light it, and slide it under the wood.

Upvote 0
I'd say they are marker torches. Soaked with fuel and stuck in the ground to mark a trail, objective point, goal line, headquarters, or whatever needs marking during night training.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't the fuel run down the shaft and set fire to the ground? Also, they have bent over ends to form a crude handle....not designed to poke into the ground unless they were bent after their last use.

Upvote 0
Stuck in ground, bent to hang from a limb, whatever is needed I would guess. I don't know this for a fact, that's just what it looks like to me.

Upvote 0
They would have had a wick inside to absorb the fuel.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies !!!!!!! I took a better look at the tube end and there is some kind of wick/packing material inside,so would think they are possibly something that was lit ,as suggested. I have found 5 of them so far.

Upvote 0
I just want too say be safe detecting those military training grounds. I am sure you know what you are doing and probably others are making judgements and assumptions of "oh why is HSD saying that etc" who cares about safety, etc etc. But I am warning you I know of two MDers who have hit live artillery shells in those old WWII training camps and one lost his hand and the other was lucky the device didn't blow up but it was live. Just be-careful in those training camps.

Upvote 0
HSD , I agree with you completely, it is ALWAYS on my mind !!!! Thanks for your input !!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back