Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured I'd run this bye you all to see your thoughts & maybe an ID.Found on a river site.Items dug here have covered a large circa of time frame.Some have been from 1740-50;s era. with others being as late as the late 1890's.It's solid lead so has a little weight to it.Pretty thick made & nailed/tacked from the flater side out to the spout looking side.I've racked my brain & have some thought's but thought I'd post in hopes of something I've not thought of or a ID.One other thing to add is that the side the nails/tacks were driven from seems to not had nothing between it as the heads of a couple nail/tacks remains were still stuck in the lead.

Thanks Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 76
Could it be an old vent stack cover?
Good guess BCH,I think I know what your saying.Sorta like a vent for a modern toilet now & days?But how would it attach with it haveing the remains of the nail head stuck in the so called back part?The pieces that fell apart (nail heads) were embedded in the lead as if it had nothing between it?

I believe from the way it seems to have been made it was used in away that the spout part went through something & then nailed.Some ideas I had thought of were ........
1)-maybe somekind of down spout hook up for catching rain water:icon_scratch:

2)-maybe put in the inside of a barrel with spout sticking through for drainage:icon_scratch:

3)-maybe some kind of a drain made for the bottom of like a sink/tub would be:icon_scratch:

but being found where it was can't rule out being used on a boat as well.

Thanks for the thoughts hope this helps some.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Upvote 0
Looks like a through hull opening from an old wooden boat. For water intake or discharge.
The flat side being fastened to the exterior of the hull. If that's what it was I see it
as part of the heat exchanger of a small steam or early gas launch & therefore mounted
below the waterline. Or it was connected to the bilge pump & set in the hull above the waterline.
Ideally bronze would be preferred but lead would be an acceptable substitute. The picture is
a modern bronze fitting but its the same idea.

through hull opening.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Looks like a through hull opening from an old wooden boat. For water intake or discharge.
The flat side being fastened to the exterior of the hull. If that's what it was I see it
as part of the heat exchanger of a small steam or early gas launch & therefore mounted
below the waterline. Or it was connected to the bilge pump & set in the hull above the waterline.
Ideally bronze would be preferred but lead would be an acceptable substitute. The picture is
a modern bronze fitting but its the same idea.

View attachment 641772
Thanks for your time.We were typing at the same time.Good idea as well and one that had crossed my mind.I think BCH hit it just was one of those things I was thinking to hard about.:laughing7:
Maybe for a smoke house or out house.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Upvote 0
Lead plumbing vent stacks are nailed down into the roof. Are the nails the opposite way?

The soft lead is bent over the pipe and the shingles go over the bottom flange and nail heads.

View attachment 641848

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lead plumbing vent stacks are nailed down into the roof. Are the nails the opposite way?

The soft lead is bent over the pipe and the shingles go over the bottom flange and nail heads.

View attachment 641848
Yes they are BCH,I think your right it's just your looking at moderen type vents instead of older ones.If you look at the pics. you will see the side I called the back & that's the side it was nailed from.It's a small opening so I'm thinking it was used on a outhouse/smokehouse small building.The flange is fairly thick & don't think it was ever bent over nothing.I still think it was put through then nailed from the so called back side.
Small smokehouse.......kinda like this..........
Gettysburg Hospitals Part 4 With Licensed Battlefield Guide Phil Lechak | Gettysburg Daily
Or outhouse vent..........many had them.
I think it be tough to find a match as it was most likely made from hand on the spot for the purpose.
Thanks Again for the help I believe you got it myself,makes sense to me now.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back