What were these used for?

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010

Attachments

• ghost 6462.jpg
    ghost 6462.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 389
need a better picture...

kinda looks like tin snips....and then again.... if the picture can show the tip...maybe its a ferriers nail setter tool...

Upvote 0
They have jaws like pliers. It looks like some grooves in the middle where something the size of nails would set. Thanks, Bill

Upvote 0
You have a pair of blacksmith tongs. I have a pair just like them in my workshop.

I am a bit envious...especially if you found those. I had to buy mine!!!!

The long handles serve two purposes. They help get your hand away from the heat given off from the fire or hot tool. The other purpose is allow you to have a strong, sure grip on the item you are working.

Just for kicks, compare holding something with these versus some cheap 6 inch pliers, especially if you are hammering on the item.

FWIW, those tongs look like they are hand forged. Most blacksmiths make their own tools, and made them for selling to others. Many old family farms tried to work as their own blacksmith, especially on small projects.

Upvote 0
clovis97 said:
You have a pair of blacksmith tongs. I have a pair just like them in my workshop.

I am a bit envious...especially if you found those. I had to buy mine!!!!

The long handles serve two purposes. They help get your hand away from the heat given off from the fire or hot tool. The other purpose is allow you to have a strong, sure grip on the item you are working.

Just for kicks, compare holding something with these versus some cheap 6 inch pliers, especially if you are hammering on the item.

FWIW, those tongs look like they are hand forged. Most blacksmiths make their own tools, and made them for selling to others. Many old family farms tried to work as their own blacksmith, especially on small projects.
:icon_thumright: 100% First thing I thought of was Horseshoes :headbang:

Upvote 0
Those sound like good descriptions. I knew this group would come up with the answer. What a bunch! There were a few other items of that nature I will put on for your expertise. Thanks guys

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back