What was it Used For?

KTfromD

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found several lengths of old solid bar with a threaded coupling at one end. It is not pipe as all pieces are solid throughout. Found some lengths up to 8 feet. Strange thing is that the end opposite the threaded end had no couplings at all. Just a solid bare end, and not cut or broken. Also found this piece of valve wheel near them. All of the rods appear to have been formed in one piece including the threads and the flat has the letter "Z" stamped in it.

Item 1.jpg

Could the rods be spokes for something........... the flat was where a wrench was placed to tighten into something ................ otherwise , with the flared end and the lip by the threads, anything like a wheel or pulley would have to be split and bolted onto the square section .... Beats me !!!!

Upvote 0
I was going to say swamp cooler pulley and the shaft was for the squirrel cage fan.

Upvote 0
First thought for me was part of old steering wheel and the heavier rod is part of the shaft that goes to the rest of it. Does look bent though and not a true circle.

Upvote 0
That pulley was run by a belt that connected to the rods.The rods run up and down on the inside of a pipe with a foot valve on the bottom and a check valve on top above ground. How do I know I have one in a well and have had to pull it many times.

Upvote 0
I also found on the internet that many people us surplus sucker rod to make fences here in Texas and this is likely what it was used for in this case as it was found parallel to an existing barbed wire fence in a single row end to end. It is cheaper than cable and keeps high strung horses from injuring themselves on the barbed wire.

3988.jpeg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back