What type of bullet ?

humpy101

Jan 19, 2015
Fond du Lac WI
Detector(s) used
I now use a Garret Ace 350. But previously used a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I bought a box full of old ammo. I am able to date most of it. This one seems civil war to me. I live in WI so I dont know much about civil war stuff. (Pics below)

Thanks, Landon

IMG_4119.JPGIMG_4120.JPGIMG_4124.JPGIMG_4123.JPG

My Best Opinion.

IMO
The closest match may be either a 44 cal variant of the 44 cal clot revolving rifle (Fired of course) or a 44 cal Ballard (Fired as well) that makes the Rings a tough call in both Cases. + if you Bullet weighs 13 grams that would put it right around 200 ish + Grains.

The ball is giving me a Head Ache it' Maybe ??? 54 cal that should weigh around 220 + Grains like your other bullet.

Welcome to the site, Enjoy your New collection of bullets ,now go dig some more to go with them .....
Only if u want to.

Happy hunting & Best of luck in the Future.

Crazy Davers:coffee2:

Upvote 0
Hey thanks man! What "ball" do you mean one pic kinda looks like it but its the same bullet just a top picture of it. I cant thank you enough!!

Upvote 0
Davers was operating under the same misconception I was, that the last pic was a round ball instead of just the top view of the same bullet. I won't say it's from the Civil War, but it's most likely cw-era into the early part of the cartridge period. Old bullet in any event, and a good find.

As an aside, a cheap digital micrometer will aid in identifying some of your finds, particularly bullets. Dimensions down to 3 decimal places can make a big difference in figuring out what you have.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back