What think about this bottle and what is it worth

It may be rare but I can't read it all. What does it have on it and what does the bottom look like. I like it but just can't read it all.

Upvote 0
Sorry usually post from my computer but this time posted from my phone and it came out like crap and I ended up posting twice but anyway it says SARATOGA VICHY SPROUTING SPRING SARATOGA NY and it has a V in the middle the bottom has a circle

Upvote 0
it says from what i can read
Saratoga vichy SPOUTING spring
nice bottle

Upvote 0
I like the bottle. I'm not sure of rarity, but I think my brother found one last year while visiting family in Saratoga.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it is rare if it has the v in the middle because of some lawsuit

Upvote 0
Hey jtw,

Excellent find sir. How'd you come upon it? You're not doing the bottle justice, in the photography department, in my opinion. Would you please take more photos, in natural light, and detail the base and the lip finish? What's it's capacity? I'm guessing a half pint.

I don't believe this is a rare one in aqua glass. Uncommon, yes. See this pint sized, slightly dinged model that went to auction in November: Saratoga Vichy Spouting Spring V in Slug Plate Saratoga N Y Aqua Pint

"THE SARATOGA VICHY SPOUTING SPRING.

is located on Ballston avenue, opposite Geyser spring, in the midst of a park embracing a beautiful sloping lawn, studded with forest-trees on one side, and the pretty little Geyser lake on the other. Its surroundings are picturesque, and are among the most attractive scenery about Saratoga. It was discovered in the month of March, 1872, by drilling in the solid rock to the depth of one hundred and eighty feet.

This spring contains more soda and less salt than any other Saratoga water, and takes special rank at once among the valuable mineral waters of this famous Spa, from its wonderful similarity to the Vichy waters of France. It is the only alkaline water found at Saratoga. The following analysis of the Saratoga Vichy, made by Professor C.F. Chandler, of the Columbia College School of Mines, demonstrates its value as a medicinal agent, and as an alkaline water of equal merit with the celebrated French Vichy…" History of Saratoga County, History of the Village of Saratoga Springs (Part 2).

Have a look at Tod's excellent Sodas and Beers site: North American Soda & Beer Bottles - Show Bottle

Fig-5-One-of-the-several-spouting-springs-in-Geyser-Park.jpg
Mineral Waters Of Saratoga

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Hey surf always great responses and info sorry about the pics tried from my phone obviously that didnt work out hey I posted a pic in another thread can you take a look and see if you could find out any info on it thanks I can't find anything and its driving me nuts

Upvote 0
Hey jtw,

I'm not following you. I can see these 2 photos, and I believe I've given you some good information.

My quibble is that there's no romancing the glass in your presentation. You've got a nice 1870's to 1880's mineral water from an historic spring, but are not describing it, nor presenting it, so that the glass can tell more of the tale.

"...It is the only alkaline water found at Saratoga, and a specific in those troublesome affections arising from Acidity of the Stomach, Dyspepsia, Kidney and Bladder Difficulties; several remarkable cases are already recorded of these diseases cured by its use…" Saratoga Illustrated: The Visitor's Guide of Saratoga Springs <<< There's a nice illustration of the Spring house with that article.

m0ViwG6FR0PM7_qaW84qqYg.jpg

Upvote 0
JTW, try taking some more photos, outside in the natural light (but not in the bright sun). Get pictures of the top, bottom and at least 2 side views. It won't change the value really but it will enhance the bottle somewhat. You have a nice find, just show her off a little bit. Oh, the guys and girls in the bottle/glass department would really like to see her. (Hint)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back