What the hell is it and what does it say on it??

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I find some strange stuff in beach sand and I can usually figure out what things are, but this plate has got me stumped.

It was fairly deep in a old pile of sand that a dozer dug out of a drainage channel. It screamed at me like something between a Hot Wheels car or a bar of silver and it was down one foot deep. It is exactly how I found it and I did not clean it. Within feet of it I found a 1941 wheat penny.

It is 3.25" square x .035" thick and the only thing I can read on it is "24 Cr. GOLD PLATED", but it is a silver color. On the back you can see a copper color showing through some scratches.

P1050672.JPG--P1050673.JPG

I don't understand that writing but to me it looks like it's backwards, and maybe meant to read from a mirrored reflection. Gold plating looks like it wore right off the metal. Interesting piece, curios to find out what it says. Maybe Russian.

Upvote 0
I don't understand that writing but to me it looks like it's backwards, and maybe meant to read from a mirrored reflection. Gold plating looks like it wore right off the metal. Interesting piece, curios to find out what it says. Maybe Russian.

Funny, that is what I thought that the writing looked backwards. I did look at it in a mirror ... and it still looked backwards to me!! :)

Upvote 0
I found similar Items on ebay called vastra yantu, from India. I couldn't find the exact one but found similar ones pictured below. The writing is Hindi apparently from what I can deduce. I may be wrong but this is closest I can find. These were labeled as for sale as Valentines gifts????!!

vastu yantra.jpg

Upvote 0
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
-
Hey Charlie! ... I believe you are on to something!

I did some translation with Google Translate using Hindi writing ... some of the hieroglyphs :) (below) are similar to what are on the plate.

SRI SHRI MAHA MRITYUNJAYA MRITYUNJAY YANTRA YANTRAM

Sri Maha Mrityunjaya mrityunjai Yntrm device

श्री श्री महा मृत्युंजय मृत्युंजय यन्त्र यन्त्रम

Thanks Trooper & Charlie ... it would be nice to know what it is used for and what that crazy design is on it. The writing still looks upside down and backwords to me :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
-
Oh Great!! Now I probably have a curse for uncovering it from it's resting place.

I hope that I can actually walk tomorrow when I wake up with all the ailments coming my way :)

Upvote 0
-
Oh Great!! Now I probably have a curse for uncovering it from it's resting place.

I hope that I can actually walk tomorrow when I wake up with all the ailments coming my way :)

Oh you'll be able to walk, just make sure you wear depends though!

Sent from a empty soda can!

Upvote 0
Walking = not an issue. Hidden foot snares and leg traps = could create problems.

Upvote 0
They are part of offering i found a few in the river especially during Diwali

RR

Upvote 0
It does look Hindi and that would make the Partial Hindi and English combo believable Since most of Educated India speaks fluent English and Hindi as well as their local Dialect

Upvote 0
some sort of calender maybe? or religious process to reach a certain level? it has 16 enclosed phrases, and 8 enclosed phrases. To me i would have to guess they are representing some sort of process to reach a certain goal, cleansing process of some sort,... interesting item tho.

Upvote 0
It's Indian. Not Native American, but rather Indian, as in India. There are two languages primarily spoken there, Hindi and Punjabi - both look the same in print, if I recall correctly. Dunno what the piece is, but that's the language and ethnicity. See my language guide in my signature.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back