WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ....some cool 1700 home site finds ID HELP

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello everyone ... my friend found this stuff at a 1700 home site....this guy just started metal detecting this year and he has found some of the coolest stuff and some of the oldest spots in the US.. I don't know how he dos it but man he is on fire lol... the coin is a 1690 William III halfpenny...the spoon is from the 1600 ..but what is this hook thing ?and what is the latch looking thing all the way to the right of the last pic? thank you for looking and thank you for your help :hello:

IMG_20140715_124635_931.jpgIMG_20140715_124621_122.jpgIMG_20140714_135438_384.jpg

sorry Mike ....I dont think were getting a ID on this one :dontknow:

Upvote 0
sorry Mike ....I dont think were getting a ID on this one :dontknow:

dont give up on us yet, sometimes it takes more than a few hours
thinking the hook thing might be part of a balance/scale
latch looking thing maybe a part from a box or furniture

Upvote 0
You should go pound that spot with em

Upvote 0
Latch is a definite possibility, as is possibly some kind of garment clasp or decoration (pretty common in 17th century). As for the coin, since it is a William III halfpenny, I have a feeling the date is either 1696 or 1699. If it was 1690 it would have WIlliam AND Mary on the obverse.

Upvote 0
Hook - Furniture drawer pull?
The other item needs a reverse shot?

Upvote 0
wall hanger for clothing -- chain hitching point (due to rivets )

Upvote 0
The far right item looks to be a book clasp :coffee2:

SS
Yeap, that was my thought as well, but without seeing the back to check for fixings or whether the end is a hook or a loop, we can't be sure. However, there is a good chance its a book hasp, as it looks more loop like at the end, it just needs a pin or 2 on the reverse.

PS. Probably 17th C as well.

Upvote 0
the rivits upon it mades me think it attached to a leather item (like a saddle or something like that) once upon a time

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back