What The Heck Is It?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep finding these of various sizes around apartment complexes. The one in the picture is about the size of a quarter, but I have found them smaller. They're real heavy but they are not made of lead.

tabman

What%20Is%20It%20001_zpsxcvguwzj.jpg

Should have a number on it but it's either a hem weight or a curtain/drapery weight. The number depicts size and weight.

Upvote 0
MOPAR 426 HEMI WEIGHT, NO ALL JOKES ASIDE THIS IS ANOTHER ITEM I HAVE YET TO FIND,COOL.

Upvote 0
Sutphin, keep hunting and you will find one. Those go back before the civil war and are still being made today.

Upvote 0
I found several right outside the window of an old house, then saw a fragment of really weird cloth attached to one of them... turned to be a curtain.

Upvote 0
It's a hem or curtain weight for sure. I've found a bunch of them and they got me to scratching my head. My mind is at ease now. Thanks everyone!

tabman

Upvote 0
Us old folks know what they are because we would notice them inside a hem and work it out to see what it was, some ended up in knick knack draws or bowls, we even found them in our mothers or aunts sowing buttons cans, they were very common in the 50's and 60's.

Upvote 0
The big ones were from curtains - parlors, churches, funeral homes, cinemas. I've seen them 2" diameter.

Upvote 0
Yep curtain or hem weight also have seen them square.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back