What on earth?

timothycwalker

Greenie
Apr 20, 2013
I found this in the Flint river in Upson county, GA years ago. It's obviously lead and weighs approximately 20 lbs.
I was thinking boat anchor, but I'm not so sure.
This thing is beat up and looks old. I found it in very shallow water, knee depth maybe.
I don't think it's a treasure, but I'd sure like to know what it is.

Lol. You can see where I shot it with a .22 near the bottom.

Attachments

• image-123285509.jpg
    image-123285509.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 140
  • image-4164907835.jpg
    image-4164907835.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image-2315592887.jpg
    image-2315592887.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 143
I agree with you thought of a boat anchor. You said it was found in shallow water which would make sense for a canoe anchor. The hole I see in the top would indicate that whatever was attached to hold a rope pulled out, which could happen with a lead( I'm guessing that's what it is), not usually with concrete.

Upvote 0
Is there a hole all the way thru? I've seen similar things used on "water gaps". Where a small creek or ditch crosses a fence line. Something is used to block the exit of livestock. About anything can be used, pipes,corrugated metal,boards,logs,tires etc. and something to weigh down lighter things. The idea is to keep livestock in but allow the "watergap" to swing downstream if the water is up and fall back down when the water goes down. I've never seen lead, usually concrete.
It almost looks like an old oil can was used to put melted wheel weights in as they added up. Doesn't look like a continual pour. My Dad would do that with melted circut boards out of old tv's.

Upvote 0
I never was notified that someone answered this.
Thanks. This thing would break a couple toes through a boot if dropped. If its not lead, then idk.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back