What method{s} do you use for finding new sites to hunt?

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought it would be interesting and informative to learn the various techniques Tnet folks use to
locate promising new sites. What methods have yielded the best results? How many came from hard research and what kind of resources did you use? How often was the hunting site found by sheer luck like in the course of a
random drive or hike? What are your experiences with wilderness hikes and have personal GPS navigators
enabled you the freedom to roam unknown wooded areas in search of virgin hunting possibilities?

I'm looking forward to your comments/stories especially now that a lot of us are unable to hunt very much now if at all due to wintry conditions and all. Thanks :metaldetector:

Wear nice clothes. No camo. No John Deere hats. Don't show up looking from one of the guys from Duck Dynasty. Drive a decent car, sedan preferred. Make sure it's clean, waxed is even better. (In other words, play the part of I-really-don-t need-to-detect-as-I've-got-plenty-of-money-but-would-give-you-the-honor-of-letting-me-on-your-property look ). Go up to the door of the house, if they're selling something (like deer corn), but some. Say thank you and ask if you can metal detect in their (field, yard) ext. Say you're fascinated by the local history (and rattle off some of the local history and tell them you'll split any big finds with them.) Only been turned down twice in 20 years. BTW- show them what you've found and let them have some. AND SMILE THE WHOLE TIME. Even if they say no.

What do you want to look for in the woods? There is not a lot of wooded area in my parts, but there are a lot of parks. All new, though. Seems that other than the chapel and Old Ellicott City, there isn't too much history in my area...

Oh well...

I'd better keep looking.

In the woods....coin spills from hunters near big trees, old roads (most likely sunken trails), rock walls, foundations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back