✅ SOLVED What metal is this ring?

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i did my first hunt this year today and was at an old playground from the 1930's.
I found this ring that had a black misscolor and small redish color,no markings or anything.
i thought it was copper and decided to put it in White vinegar for an hour.
Some of the black was removed but its still alot left as its hard to get rid of and a more red/copper color started appering with small yellow spots on it.
i brushed it abit harsh with a brush and it seems like its red/copper colored but under it its yellow so im confused.
made a small notch on the side and its yellow inside.
All i could Think of was brass but it doesn't really look like brass either.
Not sure of an effective way to remove the misscoloring.
Anyone got any idea or experienced this Before?

Attachments

• RING 2.png
    RING 2.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 179
  • ring 1.png
    ring 1.png
    808.5 KB · Views: 94
  • riiiiiing.jpg
    riiiiiing.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Looks like gold plated copper in the pics. But brass is often plated with copper under the gold. So It could be all three.

Upvote 0
Yes, it looks like it had some gold plating. Hard to tell what the base metal is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh okay but the copper seems to be ontop of the yellow metal as when "brushing" or trying to Clean it the copper is falling off and it becomes more yellow color but im almost sure its not gold so i guess the only thing it can be should be brass right?
as seen inside the ring it was red/black from the start and is now almost just yellowish,
also when doing a small cut in the edge a few millimeters down the material u can see its copper color ontop,then yellow under "inside" the plating.
if it was copper with something plated shouldn't the middle be copper or i missunderstood that?
thats why i was confused

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ahhh, so the gold coloring is beneath? If the darker spotting is falling away, then maybe it'll clean up nicely and you can have it tested.

Upvote 0
I will see if i can post a Picture of the small cut but yes its beneath, the problem is that black misscolor is kind of tricky to get rid of.

Attachments

• riiiiiing.jpg
    riiiiiing.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
I have seen where the base metal has leeched to the surface and even become the majority of surface metal.I suppose it is possible for the plating to appear to be under base metal.Also there are conditions when gold can be attached to by sulphides(they are tough too).An acid test will,"see through"the sulphides if that is the case.

Upvote 0
I recently found a similar ring. I cleaned it up,took it to the jewelry store,and they said that it was brass. Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back