✅ SOLVED What makes this rosette post civil war?

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in Today's Finds about a month or so ago, it was found on a battlefield site in Virginia that we had permission to hunt when they were making a road for a new subdivision. We also found numerous civil war bullets and this was laying in the area we found all the bullets in a bunch of dirt they moved into a pile. It had a lead back. I was told by a member on here that it is "post civil war" and just would like to know the info on why.

It has "Good Luck" with a wishbone on it !

Attachments

• P7220421.JPG
    P7220421.JPG
    823.6 KB · Views: 113
  • P7220422.JPG
    P7220422.JPG
    850.7 KB · Views: 133
Thanks Osage that is def the same one.... I see on that thread one member said it could be CW time frame and another post cw. But not really giving me a 100% answer. Thanks for taking the time for finding that info for me !!

Upvote 0
I think style of the characters is a huge indicator Hut,you have seen enough period stuff,to know what I mean.Also I may be wrong but I am not real sure the whole Good luck horseshoe thing came about until later?
edit....guess this debunks that theory....http://psychiclibrary.com/beyondBooks/horseshoe-superstition

The characters and style are not right though

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think style of the characters is a huge indicator Hut,you have seen enough period stuff,to know what I mean.Also I may be wrong but I am not real sure the whole Good luck horseshoe thing came about until later?
edit....guess this debunks that theory....Horseshoe Superstition | Good Luck | Hanging Over Doorway |

The characters and style are not right though

Thanks Mr. Kuger ! I think you are correct with it being post war. Probably more into the turn of the century! time period. There was a house site about 100 yards from where they graded out this new road for this subdivision that was there til probably the 1930s. Just wanted to get a insight on why you thought it was post war because I was showing this piece to a fellow digger today and we had a small debate over it being CW! he thought it was period and i told him it was probably not, but told him i would check into it more just to make sure since i did find it on a battlefield... cause sometimes stuff like this can fool you. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HutSiteDigger wrote:
> What makes this rosette post civil war?

As Kuger astutely noted, the lettering-style on it ("plain-block" lettering) was extremely rarely seen on metal objects until the last quarter of the 1800s. (You may have noticed that you almost never see "plain-block" lettering in civil war button backmarks, and "advertizing" signs, etc.)

Also, several characteristics of the horseshoe indicate it is a post-civil-war horseshoe. It has long gutter-like indented channels so that the nail-heads will be recessed into the horseshoe's body, and it has three "cleats" on its body (one on each of the horseshoe's ends and another at the top of the curve). Insofar as I'm aware, no horseshoe which had ALL of those characteristics existed during the civil war era. So, to show that specific version of horseshoe, your rosette must have been made sometime after the civil war era.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back