IMG_0218.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 462
Tubecity said:
Probably a type of cast metal, we called it 'pot metal' ,
more than likely very brittle.
i thought of that to its not pot metal either ???

Upvote 0
It's a potters metal. A cheap aluminum alloy basically. Very soft and cheap for what they are using it in.. fractional H/P motors.

Hit it with a blow torch see how quickly it melts. Im betting its an aluminum mix. Recycling it if you can get it off the iron of the rotor you'd get cast prices for it.

Aaron

Upvote 0
Ascholten said:
It's a potters metal. A cheap aluminum alloy basically. Very soft and cheap for what they are using it in.. fractional H/P motors.

Hit it with a blow torch see how quickly it melts. Im betting its an aluminum mix. Recycling it if you can get it off the iron of the rotor you'd get cast prices for it.

Aaron
thats what i did i threw it in the fire with a bunch of other aluminum, this is the only piece that didn't melt

Upvote 0
Zamak #3 zinc die casting, very common for FHP Motors, I have helped design and manufacture hundreds of them in my career.

Upvote 0
armchairQB30 said:
Zamak #3 zinc die casting, very common for FHP Motors, I have helped design and manufacture hundreds of them in my career.

Nice! Looked up Zamac 3 and it sure makes sense to me.

Tony

Upvote 0
The can is part of electric Fan , and for the metal the Alum. and steel mix is call irony alum. in Fla. sell for about $.15 per.pound. I own R.P.Lord Scrap Metal & Haulling

Upvote 0
I dont know about the zamac.

zinc melts a lot lower than aluminum. the manu says zamac melts around 750 degrees, aluminum takes about 1100 and up..... if you melted aluminum and this didn't melt then id say it wasnt zamac, but possibly an aluminum alloy unless you tried the entire thing and the iron was in there too and was leeching the heat and it didnt really hit that temp yet....

hard to say

aaron

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back