What kind of rock?

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
I found this really pretty,very interesting rock and was wondering if anyone knew what it is? I don't know if its just me or if you can see some kind of writing on it too? It's prob a bit bigger than a golf ball prob about 1 1/2 golf balls?

image-1548159823.jpg

image-382653830.jpg

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

Aliens!!! No seriously, that rock is pretty cool. I have no idea what it could be. Did you locate it with a metal detector? (Is it metallic?) Where did you find it? And anything else that might help with the ID.

Upvote 0
It appears to be a Jasper rock that was formed in a heavy iron environment. Also, when the Jasper was forming, it had cracks/fissures that allowed the intrusion of Quartz, thus the strips of Quartz. I would imagine that the rock was once part of a larger Jasper deposit/layer but was broken/eroded out and tumbled for a time in a stream, river or creek.

Frank

Upvote 0
It appears to be a Jasper rock that was formed in a heavy iron environment. Also, when the Jasper was forming, it had cracks/fissures that allowed the intrusion of Quartz, thus the strips of Quartz. I would imagine that the rock was once part of a larger Jasper deposit/layer but was broken/eroded out and tumbled for a time in a stream, river or creek.

Frank

Thankyou I did find it next to a lake it was buried I found it while I was MD. Not the item to set off the metal detector just found while digging.

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back