what kind of hammer?

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all, Thank you for viewing this thread. Found this old hammer head where civil war material was found. Any one know what purpose there would be for a small hammer like this one? IMAG1222.jpgIMAG1223.jpg

My first thought looking at that, was a leather hammer.

Upvote 0
Cabinet maker's hammer ? Cobblers hammer also ? ... Might not even be a hammer. Maybe the inside of a spigot valve :dontknow:. Just can't find a hammer like it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is small so a shoe hammer makes good sense. There was a handful of shoe hardware found at the location. Heel pieces of brass and toe pieces. I will add a photo if anyone wants to see those.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps a black smith tool, not a hammer, but a handled tool the smith would work hot metal by hitting the tool. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.
flatter.jpg
These are not hammers, but are handled tools used by striking with a hammer. From the left, a top fuller, a small flatter without a handle, a large flatter, a large set hammer, a small set hammer, a smaller cross chisel, a straight chisel, a punch and without a handle, a small straight chisel. These tools are all used on red hot iron.
flatter1.jpg
Your find kinda/sorta looks like a set hammer to me.

Upvote 0
What kind of hammer would a civil war soldier use to set up a campsite? I too found something similar at a location where civil war stuff has been found but it was different. I never did make a post to find out.

Upvote 0
Masonry, to accommodate bricks ..tapping

Upvote 0
You got plenty of good answers, right now I'm going with the Shoe, or Well used Set Hammer.

If you Cook it (electrolysis) it will come out real nice.

C. Davers

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the photos and words of wisdom. Davers, it is so true it needs cleaning as it is not easy for all of you to see the details like i can. There are two hammerheads, one normal size and the other is a tiny special purpose flat hammer head for light work like maybe tapping on a shoe. Best to all.

Upvote 0
Clean them up and put them back to use.

Upvote 0
Because of the roundness of the large end I would say from here it's a planishing hammer used with sheet metal to shape it
rather than bend it. Copper smiths, jewelers, etc.
If you do remove the corrosion and find the large end is domed rather than flat, then it was used to shape.
Many trades need to shape their materials including leather and others.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back