MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this in my backyard, where I've found coins from only the 1900's. This button looks to be older, but I don't know. (I'm in SW CT.). There seems to be some gilt poking through after tooth picking and about 2 minutes of peroxide. Not sure if I wanna do anything else just yet. It's 19 mm across. Any help would be appreciated. At this point, the back mark is illegible. Don't have any aluminum jelly on hand. Will get some in the am.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 71
Thanks IS. That's kinda what I was guessing, based on the anchor. Any idea of the age? Hoping it's not post Civil War.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
design was used both civil war and post civil war --the back mark is critical to ID time frame

Upvote 0
I may be wrong but I think it is a modern civilian blazer button. The iron back is one clue. The rope border not passing through the anchor loop is another. The shape of the flukes is yet another clue that it is a civilian button. Here is a link to one similar to yours.
Eagle/Anchor - Eagles - Waterbury Button

Upvote 0
Fyrffytr1 is correct, it is definitely a civilian-usage "Fashion" button, a kinda-sorta imitation (not an exact copy of the US Navy button) manufactured for use on "Nautical Motif" civilian clothing. As he indicated, on actual US Navy buttons the rope which encircles the emblem passes through the loop on the anchor's top. It is from the mid-to-late 20th-Century. That type can still be purchased today at sewing-supplies stores like Jo Ann's Fabrics & Crafts. Also, if you go buy a "Navy Pea Coat" at Sears it will probably have that button or one of the other versions of civilian imitation Navy buttons on it.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much guys. I appreciate your quick and accurate information. I hope next time I'll have something worthy! Have a great weekend!

Upvote 0
Thanks so much guys. I appreciate your quick and accurate information. I hope next time I'll have something worthy! Have a great weekend!

The first time I found one I just knew I had a worthy button too. Even though it wasn't military I still got a rush when it popped out of the ground. And really, that's the reason I detect. It's the thrill of the hunt for me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back