Attachments

• metal detecting 062.JPG
    metal detecting 062.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 275
  • metal detecting 064.JPG
    metal detecting 064.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 271
Definitely not 1812. :)

Are you referring to the actual bullets? One looks to be perhaps .45ACP (the stubby fat one). The other (long, skinny one) looks to be 6.5mm.

The empty case looks like it may be a .30-30.

Can you post a pic of the head stamp on the empty case and any measurements you can get on the bullets? That would help to positively identify.

Upvote 0
Dead on on the bullets themselves. The case I'd guess is about a .30-.06 however. The 30/30 is a rimmed case. With an inside neck diameter on the case I could tell you exactly what caliber it is. Monty

Upvote 0
RCBAKER00 said:
the bullet casing has a 1 60 on it what about the bullet holder thats military isnt it thankds

Yes, the bullet holder on the far left looks like a military 5 round stripper clip for the .30-06

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Dead on on the bullets themselves. The case I'd guess is about a .30-.06 however. The 30/30 is a rimmed case. With an inside neck diameter on the case I could tell you exactly what caliber it is. Monty

Yup, I shouldn't have missed that (or the stripper clip). To much celebration perhaps? :D

Upvote 0
Don't feel bad. The only reason I knew it was a 6.5 mm is because I shoot a 6.5X54 Swede in Military Bolt Action competition! I didn't even notice the stripper clip, just that the case had no rim. The .30 Win Center fire was a rimless 30-30 with a 30-30 length neck wasn't it? Monty

Upvote 0
Look over here at your other almost identical post where I attempted to ID it for you already. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,334042.0.html The "1 60" headstamp is the date it was made which is something the US military as well as other NATO countries almost always did. I'm still thinking 30-06 due to the length but I suppose it could also be 7.62 or even 8mm Mauser. Exact measurements as Monty said, would tell for sure. The bullets can also be identified by diameter, length & weight. None of this stuff has anything whatsoever to do with the War of 1812. Lost by hunters or target shooters MUCH later. Monty the .30 WCF became the 30-30 Winchester and is exactly the same round with a different name. I have an 1894 Winchester 30-30 that was made in 1949 & is marked .30 WCF caliber. Rimmed casing with a rounded tip bullet. Pointy bullets have no business in a rifle with a tubular magazine for obvious reasons...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back