What kind of buckle could this be?

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I dug this buckle last week in Rhode Island. I don't really have any sources of info on buckles so I figured I would try here. It was in a plowed field. I was wondering what type of bucke it could be and from what era. There is a quarter there for scale in one of the photos. The close up should show some of the design on the buckle. I would like to know what it is made of. It has very little corrosion. It is dark metal and seems heavy for it's size. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HH,

J

Attachments

• buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 329
  • buckle2.jpg
    buckle2.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 297
I can't help with a positive ID, but it certainly looks very old.
Nice treasure find :thumbsup:
Mike

Upvote 0
Just a WAG...

Type V Buckle c1660 - 1720s (check out #5)

BUCKLES WITH STUD CHAPES - (no's 1-15)
These were used for shoes and for fastening the breeches knee-band below the knee and because of the small size of early shoe buckles they are difficult to differentiate. Buckles with a pronounced curve as number 15 are definitely shoe buckles.

bucklefig9.jpg

Upvote 0
That is a great chart!!!! Where can I find something like that? I think u hit the mark! It looks like a cross between #5 and # 17. Very similar to 17. What are these buckles normally made of? Way to go!!! Thanks!

J

Upvote 0
je177 said:
That is a great chart!!!! Where can I find something like that? I think u hit the mark! It looks like a cross between #5 and # 17. Very similar to 17. What are these buckles normally made of? Way to go!!! Thanks!

J

It's from the website linked here: http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ceejays_site/pages/buckletitlepage.htm

The text information is listed seperatly from the pictured information, but, you should find the site easy to use and a great research tool :)

Upvote 0
Agree with Jim, it is late 17th century.

Is this early for the Island?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back