🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is this?

armedrios

Oct 9, 2023
I have this two piece glass item I have not been able to identify. I cant find any pictures or info on what it may be. Hoping someone here can help me out. Its about 13" high and 8" at the lip where they touch.
IMG_4991.JPG
IMG_4992.JPG
IMG_4993.JPG

Looks to me like a piece of laboratory equipment known as a vacuum desiccator. I used something similar early in my career when I worked in a research laboratory. It's for drying things such as crystals and other substances or items as a stage in their analysis.

The desiccant (usually calcium oxide) goes in the bottom part, and what you want to dry goes in the top part. The two parts should have ground glass rims on which you smear vaseline to get an airtight seal when you slide them together. You can then apply a vacuum to accelerate the drying via the side connector.

I'm just off to bed (it's late here) so don't have time to find images for you but if you Google variations of 'laboratory vacuum desiccator jar'. I'm sure you'll find similar examples.

ADDITION: Here's one with a similar construction, but without the trough in the lid section. In this case, what you want to dry (plant/herbal material etc) sits 'loose' on the white perforated porcelain disc shown in the base, or in a container resting on the disc.

Vacuum Desiccator.jpg

PS: Welcome to Tnet.

Last edited:
Upvote 10
Looks to me like a piece of laboratory equipment known as a vacuum desiccator. I used something similar early in my career when I worked in a research laboratory. It's for drying things such as crystals and other substances or items as a stage in their analysis.

The desiccant (usually calcium oxide) goes in the bottom part, and what you want to dry goes in the top part. The two parts should have ground glass rims on which you smear vaseline to get an airtight seal when you slide them together. You can then apply a vacuum to accelerate the drying via the side connector.

I'm just off to bed (it's late here) so don't have time to find images for you but if you Google variations of 'laboratory vacuum desiccator jar'. I'm sure you'll find similar examples.

ADDITION: Here's one with a similar construction, but without the trough in the lid section. In this case, what you want to dry (plant/herbal material etc) sits 'loose' on the white perforated porcelain disc shown in the base, or in a container resting on the disc.

View attachment 2109107

PS: Welcome to Tnet.
I have to say that that certainly looks like that's it, thank you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back