What is this?

arobfeds21

Greenie
Oct 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I found this near my home in Northern Virginia in the woods about 6 inches deep. Anyone know what kind of metal it is? It is pretty heavy for its size. I'm just trying to learn how to identify metals and have no idea about this one. The white color on the one part and the 2 lines are weird too, any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5435.PNG
    IMG_5435.PNG
    467.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Congrats on your first fired Minnie ball.

Now wash your hands before you eat, that's lead.

Upvote 0
Arobfeds21, just in case you don't already know... or, for anybody reading this who doesn't know... a "Minie ball" (bullet) is a civil war era lead bullet made for use in a Muzzleloader Rifle. A French Army Captain named Minie invented its basic form, which was quickly copied by armies of various countries, including the USA and the CSA. Note the spelling... it's not Mini and not Minnie. Also, the Minie bullet's shape actually is not a ball -- but that's what it was called during the civil war.

The Minie bullet is distinguished by having a sizable cavity in its base, to aid expansion of the lead base outward into the gun's rifling-grooves. Most (but not all) Minie-bullets have grooves encircling the bullet's body. You can see some of them on your fired, mangled find. It is probably a yankee-made .58-caliber "3-groove" Minie-bullet, which was the most common (numerous) version made.

Since you asked about identifying excavated metals... the greyish-whiteish color on your bullet is Lead Oxide (a.k.a. "lead rust").

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice fired bullet from America's Civil War!! Congrats!! There should be more, so I hope you get back out there and find more!! If you do, please keep us posted!!!

Upvote 0
Arobfeds21, just in case you don't already know... or, for anybody reading this who doesn't know... a "Minie ball" (bullet) is a civil war era lead bullet made for use in a Muzzleloader Rifle. A French Army Captain named Minie invented its basic form, which was quickly copied by armies of various countries, including the USA and the CSA. Note the spelling... it's not Mini and not Minnie. Also, the Minie bullet's shape actually is not a ball -- but that's what it was called during the civil war.

The Minie bullet is distinguished by having a sizable cavity in its base, to aid expansion of the lead base outward into the gun's rifling-grooves. Most (but not all) Minie-bullets have grooves encircling the bullet's body. You can see some of them on your fired, mangled find. It is probably a yankee-made .58-caliber "3-groove" Minie-bullet, which was the most common (numerous) version made.

Since you asked about identifying excavated metals... the greyish-whiteish color on your bullet is Lead Oxide (a.k.a. "lead rust").

WOW!! I learn every time you post! Awesome explanation!!!! And ID!!

Very cool find OP!!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back