What Is This?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, Could Someone Please Tell Me What Kind Of Rock? This Is? Thank You!

First Pic: IMG_0382.PNGIMG_0382.PNG

Another Angle IMG_0381.PNG

I have no idea but I sure like it.

lol! This thing has me stumped. It came from a neighbor that passed who was a geologist he kept it in his home office just like you see in the pics. Only in a locked case. It had to have some meaning to him. Sentimental...Rare..Something?? Any Help is Appreciated! I've not scanned it with a pointer or detector. I guess that might be a place to start.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Looks rare .. I am interested in getting that is it expensive ???

TN, I really have no idea at this point. I'm going to take it to a geologist that is a friends father and find out what it is exactly. Knowing my neighbor "I Think" it's "Something Rare and/or Expensive. He had a large personal office in his home and like I said it was in a locked glass case displayed prominently on this stand. As a respected geologist and every free moment Rock Hounder, I can't imagine him having even a "common" specimen" In his home office! lol! They had no children and he and his wife, who passed first even vacationed to places where certain rocks could possibly be found. He only kept his best finds at home and would go to rock and mineral shows around the country. Maybe he just thought it was unique looking,Maybe someone special he cared about gave it to him, I don't know. I'd bring him things that I found on hunts... fossils, arrowheads and some 'cool to me' rocks and he would examine everything tell me the scientific name that I forgot before I left his home and either say "Put it in your Rock Garden", "Keep It Safe or "I'll Buy That". I would give him unique stones and rocks for his INDOOR Rock Gardens! (Smile). When I travelled he always wanted me to bring back something good from my travels. Like I Knew What Was Good!?? lol I'm Not A Rock Hound At All Except Arrowheads, Indian Tools,Pottery and Fossilized Items I Really Like. He was a Very Good Man!
I'll post an update when I get it identified.

Upvote 0
You'd be surprised. I know several geologists whom keep private "reference libraries" of common rock-types. Some for reference, others collect them.
I also have a small collection of rocks for reference, besides my mineral collection.

Upvote 0
You'd be surprised. I know several geologists whom keep private "reference libraries" of common rock-types. Some for reference, others collect them.
I also have a small collection of rocks for reference, besides my mineral collection.
I do this as well! It helps me locate specific minerals I am looking for, and "trains" my eye so to speak. I also have a collection of core samples, of plain old rock, nothing special, I just collect them because of certain mines they came from....

Upvote 0
I do this as well! It helps me locate specific minerals I am looking for, and "trains" my eye so to speak. I also have a collection of core samples, of plain old rock, nothing special, I just collect them because of certain mines they came from....

I get that...I stare at pics of Morel Mushrooms at the start of the season!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back